What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Quantumike

billmac

Stainless
I need a new 0-1 micrometer. I was just going to buy an ordinary Mitutoyo 293 series, but I was distracted by the Quantumike. The big claim that they make is that this micrometer is 'faster' because it has a coarser thread and a better encoder. I understand that, but for my use the speed of use is not a big factor - a few seconds is not going to make any difference. My question to people who have bought and used this micrometer is whether there are any other advantages and if so in what circumstances. For example, I wondered whether the coarser thread might make the feel of the mike better, or more certain? The difference in cost is large and I don't want to waste money without any obvious benefits.

Thanks for your help.

I have a set of Etalon Micro-rapids that have a coarse double lead thread. One turn is .1 instead of .025. The "feel" is incredibly solid and extremely accurate. These are only made in metric now and quite pricey but I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Ironically since I started the other thread, I actually own and use Quickmike's (0-1ish, 1-2ish) and Quantummikes (2-3, 3-4), and some digimatics that are part of 0-6" and 6-12" frame mike sets. I like the quickmike's best, but they're too costly for more than the super common to use size ranges.

They're all sensitive enough to give you fits when you can't hold the part and the mike perfectly. Mine all do both metric and inch.

Something that didn't come out in that other thread, is that a quantumike is rather cheaper than a quickmike.

Size range, metri/inch combos, etc. are probably the most important, and I think mitutoyo has that well covered. Maybe spring for the quantu or quick level mikes for 0-1" (assuming that's most common for you) and then less costly mikes to cover the other size ranges. [He says now after doing it a different way.]

Also, judging from the fowler inside mike I have (assuming they use that head other places), while they look comparable to mitutoyo in a web picture, in the hand the mitu's are all much nicer.

Back