What's new
What's new

Is a Monarch 10EE compund and taper attachment worth selling?

What about the rest of a 1944 monarch 10ee? no tailstock, motor and electrics are suspect, but the rest was in workable condition. I passed up on the lathe as I could not afford to buy the lathe and the tailstock.

I think I could purchase the rest of it for maybe $250....

If you can pick up a parts machine for $250, go for it. If you're willing to part it out you can do a lot of people a favor and make a few dollars while you're at it.

Why do you say the "motor and electrics are suspect"? Does it have the original motor/generator (MG) drive?

Cal

I do not know anything about the drive system. I am assuming its original. I am not very good with electrical other than I can follow directions. The owner was trying to wire it, said the "3rd leg powered the pump" or something to the effect.

The owner was not familiar with the machine as he owned the shopped, but didnt work the machines...

I encourage you to get it. It may be a perfectly good lathe. If you have the room it can still be a dandy second operations machine without the tailstock. You can probably adapt a tailstock from some other machine to it until a real 10EE tailstock shows up. I wouldn't write the drive system off until you have more information. Many a fine 10EE has been scrapped simply because an owner didn't understand how the drive system worked and lost patience. Nine times out of ten it's something very simple. His ignorance may be your key to a nice toolroom lathe for very little money.

Cal

Here are some pics of what I have. All I have done is wipe away some grime.

As for the lathe, I told the seller to hang on, that I might find someone who wants it. I dont want to mess with it.

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

Here are some pics of what I have. All I have done is wipe away some grime.

As for the lathe, I told the seller to hang on, that I might find someone who wants it. I dont want to mess with it. ...

Well, without a cross-slide, compound or tailstock the rest of the machine is just parts, and that's too bad. If you can get some photos of what's left, guys here may need some of the parts.

That's a very interesting taper attachemnt. It looks a lot older than 1944. I don't recall seeing one with the dog-bone shaped casting over the draw-bar. Here's a photo of the taper attachment on my '43 round-dial:
IMG_3466.jpg
The taper attachment on a square-dial is pretty much the same as mine. (Mine doesn't have the micrometer adjuster.)

Cal

On edit: I just noticed the dog-bone casting in the 1944 round-dial brochure, but I've never seen one in the wild...

Anybody.. the rest of the machine is available for awhile. I asked the seller to hold off scraping it as I might find a buyer. But I have not made any deals for the machine, my figure of 250 is a guess. He last offer was scrap price, which he quoted at 375 per ton....

If someone wants to go through the effort of paying for it and picking it up, I will put the deal together. Location is near Lima Ohio.

Cal, a '44 round dial is certainly not a common machine for sure but they did make some round dials even later than that. That T/A pictured has the shorter slotted end screw that is typical in the late T/A's also although that's not to say it hadn't been changed and put on a newer machine than it originally came with.

By the way I bought that pile of parts from dplain that was on Ebay a couple weeks back and I think that there were two tailstocks in that pile. I haven't gone to pick that stuff up yet but there looks to be plenty of goodies in there that could save a machine or two

usmachine...

If there is a tailstock...I would like to talk.. I purchased some other goodies, so cash is low at this instant...

Never met a 10EE I didn't like

Bill is right on there. I bought the most beat down wore out EE I ever laid eyes on once for about $450 and I turned a profit on the bits (not a big one) had a pile of parts I have since used on other machines and still have 2000 lbs of iron left for chinese bedsprings and files :D

Hi,Rob. My name is Mike. I have a couple of 10EEs in various states of repair. One of them is in need of just the parts that you want to sell among others that it will need before it works again. I may be interested in both of them if you still have them.

I'm in favor of keeping them running, but if the machine is to be scrapped, I would be interested in the relay panel. I make contacts, wind coils, and rebuild such equipment. Cal and I have been discussing making contactors or rebuilt panels available on an exchange basis. I couldn't pay much for a core that I would put a lot of work in, then might or might not sell, but it would be a few extra dollars.

Bill

That looks like a 1939/1940 TA. It will bolt onto a later 10EE, but it uses a different cover plate and bed stop. If the bed stop is not included, it is highly unlikely that a replacement can be located, it will need to be fabricated.

Back