What's new
What's new

Video showing 1941 Monarch 10ee after VFD Conversion

Darkshadow

Plastic
Hello, This is just a Short video showing my lathe after I replaced the MG with a Hitachi WJ200 and a Blue Max 5HP motor. The Gearbox is connected with a Pump Mount and the Motor was unchanged. I made a new Shaft that goes thru my gearbox and connects to the motor with lovejoy couplings.

1941 monarch 10ee vfd - YouTube

The Drive is a Hitachi Inverter WJ200 055LF. It is a 3-phase inverter, but there are instructions on wiring for single phase on Hitachi's website. You don't need the extra braking resistor but you can only stop with in 4-5 seconds. With the braking resistor I think I have is set up to stop in 1-1/2 seconds which is fine for me.

In the video it appears the drive is located in the bowels of the lathe...just sitting their in its 'almost' open enclosure. Is that compartment sealed...looks like the drive would be in harms way from chips, coolant or whatever.

Stuart

DO NOT CONTINUE TO RUN THAT LATHE WITH NOTHING IN THE CHUCK! (Unless you'd like a jaw in your or a bystander's head.) The chuck's scroll can spin relative to the chuck's body duty acceleration or deceleration and release the jaws. I've seen close calls.

rklopp, thank you. I will chuck something in the jaws.
Old fart, does your lathe have a inline exciter or have you converter to vfd?

DO NOT CONTINUE TO RUN THAT LATHE WITH NOTHING IN THE CHUCK! (Unless you'd like a jaw in your or a bystander's head.) The chuck's scroll can spin relative to the chuck's body duty acceleration or deceleration and release the jaws. I've seen close calls.

That risk is greatly reduced by the use of that VFD The speed gets up more graduatly as with direct current

peter from holland

Back