What's new
What's new

1955 Monarch EE13 Sabina retro question

Challenged

Plastic
Dear Sirs:I have recently purchased a really neat old lathe,that is in great mechanical shape.However,it was retrofitted in the 90s,with a Sabina DC drive system that is dead(ish).I have NOT hooked up power to it yet,but it was tapped I believe to receive 440 in,putting out 220 to the drive.I am scared to let the smoke out of it,so I'm proceeding slowly.Do I even need the transformer,if I am going to hook up to 208 in my shop?I have ordered Sabina's schematic,and I also called them.They want an automatic $1500 just to look at the board.Yeek.That's a gamble I might not have to take.I did find a little fuse burned out above the board.Anyone know anything about these drives?Thanks!Doug

The 13EE originally had a Ward-Leonard System (M-G) drive plus a small electronics unit, a description of which may be found here ...

PAT2PDF - Free PDF copies of patents: Download and print!

... in the patent disclosure.

Later, the 13EE was replaced by the otherwise identical, but all-electronic EE1000, a description of which may be found here ...

PAT2PDF - Free PDF copies of patents: Download and print!

... in the patent disclosure.

Both machines are high-horsepower super-precision toolroom machines, often employed in the nuclear field as these machine may accommodate the components of the "Swan" device, described here ...

Swan (nuclear explosive) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... in the Wiki.

I strongly suspect that a component-level repair of the Sabina DC drive is feasible by a competent electronic technician.

If not, Beel ...

BICL - AC/DC DRIVES & CONTROLS

... has offered to make a drive for the 13EE/EE1000.

I have NO business or other relationship with BICL.

Last edited:

Back