What's new
What's new

help please! need help retooling.

Old fart

Aluminum
Ok I just sold my 10EE AXA toolpost and and tooling. I immediately turned around and bought an Aloris BXA. Now I need to tool it up.
Please help me by reccomending tool holder nubers and insert numbers. I turn only 1018,4140 and 6061. My 10EE has 2500 rpm capabilities.please post your favorite and why.

Given the date I think I can help.

What you need is toolholders lovingly handcrafted from the finest Siberian white pine. Of course each one of these is unique with a 2 year lead time - the elves being somewhat overworked. These take simple triangular insets broken from a bar of Toblerone. I would suggest that you stock up on all sizes and types. You will have to check but I believe the milk chocolate is the general go-to insert, with the dark chocolate being reserved for harder materials and the white chocolate variety only to be used on aluminum or not at all.

There is also some fascinating work going on in the development of Gummy inserts. I believe you will want to go with the German versions as I think they did the original development of the material and so have far better process control.

If none of that is appealing I am currently developing a completely new tool technology which does away with the pesky rotating head stock. This revolutionary concept fixes the work and rotates the tool insert around it, and best of all is completly hands free - totaly mind controled (OSHA will obviously be mandating this equipment shortly).
I have signed an exclusive working agreement with a top international maker of the mind control interface. The big challenge is getting Mattel's Mindflex products ruggedized for the production environment.

Oh and I am seeking investors, this is sure to be bigger than facebook - you'll want to get in on the ground floor.

Paul

Ok I got some splainin to do.Prior to buying this lathe I owned a 12KK raised monarch which I think was 18.5" swing. The tool post was a CXA so all of the tooling would not fit an AXA nor BXA so I sold A bunch of what I had for a grand. Now this new lathe came with a bare AXA so I only bought 1 turning tool holder a 1/2" boring bar and a squeeze knurl because I had doubts that I would like this tiny little AXA. long story short I hated the AXA and the local dealer offered me 155 bones on a trade up to the BXA. My question should have went like this. Need help specifying tool holders, boring bars, internal threading bars, parting holders and grooving holders and carbide for each. Does anyone have any bitch's with Kenemetal, toolmex or seco? Oooor better yet what is your favorite brand of turning and facing holders and inserts ECT ECT. I am not a machinist by trade and have learned what little I know about this hobby the hard way. Any help specifying some of these goodies will be appreciated.

http://www.aloris.com/catalog/aloris_p32-33.pdf
Here are some of the Aloris items. There are others that will interchange, but you won't know exactly how well until you get it, so maybe not the best option to try the random other brands unless you already have them, or already know they will fit.
I have found the extended turn holder to come in very handy for getting a little extra reach in tight places, but it is not in this catalog. At 140 bucks each we decided to make a dozen in house.

Checking my cutters, I find that many were 1" or 1¼" that have been cut down to 3/4" so the part numbers have been cut off.

For general turning: Mitsubishi DWLNR-124 holder using WNMG-43X inserts. One for roughing, 1 for finishing.
I also use the 80° diamond in the 43X insert size in suitable holders. The diamond insert squirms less than the trigon in heavy roughing cuts.
Threading: Kennametal LSAR-83 (the model with a larger shank)
Light duty cutoff: Iscar DGTR 19B-2D35, various models and insert widths available
Grooving and threading: Kennametal NASR-122B using the N.2R (smaller) insert, and also the holder for the N.3R (larger) insert series.

X2 on thermite's "Start with duplicating what you actually USED, not what sat on the shelf, and you should be fine."

Bill

Geesh I made a long reply to this last night and it didn't make it on here. The new aloris holders have 5/8 opening. I bought 5 square holders with the v notch in the bottom,2 -3/4" round bar holders and 1 cutoff holder. I am probably going to buy as much Kenemetal stuff as I can. I am leaning towards buying the tool holders that use the diamond shaped inserts that use the clamp to hold the insert in rather than a screw in the center of the insert. I want to find boring bars that use inserts that actually break up the chips rather than ending up with inserts that claim to break up chips and then leave me with a 5 mile long ball of wool in the bore that I am cutting. Thermite and hit and miss. I plan to get 5 turning and facing holders lefts rights and center. 4 boring bars of various sizes and lengths and a couple threading holders now that I have a lathe that will cut a dammed nice thread.

Best of luck tooling up, it's a big job and costly. My impression is that you're not going to use your machine for production. I might be off base there, if so ignore this.

Is cost or versatility of any consideration to you? If so don't overlook HSS tooling. Fifty years ago I worked in a NASA R&D shop which had a number of 10 EE lathes, no production beyond perhaps an occasional hundred or so expendibles such as hypervelocity light gas gun projectiles and sabots. Everything was in a hurry though, we were going to the moon. Never over the years I worked there was anything but HSS tooling used on those lathes and work of the highest class was done on them.

My point is that HSS tools work well for one offs and low production if maximum material removal rates are not a governing factor for your work. They are very easily and quickly made into any configuration needed for jobs, even weird ones and they are low cost. Keep them in your quiver of tooling, know how to grind them to make them do what you want them to accomplish. Need something like a face dovetail O-ring groove or annular groove with special features in the corners in 30 minutes or a bored (not reamed or D-bit) profiled tapered five inch deep bore going from .75 to to .20? Piece of cake with HSS. Off the shelf inserts, well, no.

Some of those toolbits ground long ago are still in my box and find uses.

Ball of wool boring is a problem. It is often a misapplication of inserts, speed and feed. Often the inserts have honed edges (purposely dulled to a controlled extent) used at a too low feed rate at too low cutting speed at too shallow depth of cut. Don't do that.

Those "square holders with the v notch" work well with 1/2 in. shank boring bars, obviously the 3/4 boring bar holders do the same with same size shank boring bars. You might be surprised how well import brazed carbide tipped boring bars work if tuned up on a diamond wheel. Sets of them are inexpensive.

If we had an idea of what you want to accomplish your query surely would get better responses.

Thanks for the info Dave. No production here only 1 off's. I do have a bunch of HSS tooling accumulated over the past many years. As you, I use them for oring and snapring grooves mainly. I am just amazed at the finish I can get with this new lathe even useing junk imported tool holders. I think that the quality of this lathe warrents buying the very best tooling I can get because I won't be buying a lot of anything.My favorite choice of material is 6061 so if 6061 is aceptable for what ever I am making at the time that is usually my choice. I need bad to find some info on cutting feeds and speeds though as I really just guess and go from there. Again I have had no training at all on running a lathe just 26-30 years of learning the hard way. Now that I got this EE I have tons more to learn. As an example in all the years of owning my raised KK I only tried threading once it was a laughing matter now that I can look back at it. I watched a video on youtube by tubalcain shortly after I got this EE and went and bought a 60 degree cutter and my first try was 16TPI on a piece of 1.5" 6061 and the results were immaculate to the eye. Greener than hell and been making some really nice stuff for many years.

Back