What's new
What's new

Bought a Monarch Need some advice

SR1911

Plastic
Bought this older Monarch On rear way is Lot E #1403 thats all .I have enclosed a picture I hope.
If any one can give me more info or if there is a manual available. I tried the UK site but did not see one.I have seen one other pic on this site from a few years back but got no response from owner.I have some slight seeping at front and rear spindle shaft and on the shaft at the case where the speed change levers are but very minor and only after is run for awhile.
Thanks
John

Attachments

• 04-08-13_0908.jpg
    04-08-13_0908.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 284
This is a 12" model E built somewhere between 1918-1925 (best guess). Check out the Monarch group on Yahoo, there are some assembly drawings posted there and other info.

Thanks guys checked out other thread and it is same.I knew it was an E but that was about it.I am new to this and it has been a few days but figured out how to operate and turn.It seems fairly accurate on a short piece of 4inches it was within .001.It is missing the drice lever and gears on rear for auto feed and threading but i have no need for that.I have done some milling on it and that is what i use it for som small parts.The main problemis slight seepage at spindle shaft and lever shaft for speed.Are these sealed by fit and are they bronze bushings?
thanks for any info
John

A Monarch of this age did not have any seals, and all the bearings would have been plan. Any seepage would be normal oil working it way through the bearing and shaft, which normally will be a good thing to see. If the seepage is more like it is running out, then this could be a sign that there is excessive wear. There is not any oil baths on these old cone heads. The apron most likely is a single wall. Lubrications is from an oil can or oilers on major bearings like the spindle.

Looking closer I see that you got an early gear head, and yes there will be a oil bath in the head. I am not sure how they sealed the spindle and levers on the head. I remember seeing an assembly drawing of a gear head for a Model E on the Monarch Yahoo Group.

Hope that helps,

John

Yes the seepage is very little not like I have to add oil .I kind of thought it was just a tight fit to seal but know very little about these.I have looked at the brochure in the previous post but need to study it more.For a $300 machine it works well except for not having gears on back for driving the carriage.I will check out the yahoo group also.
Thanks John

Not Monarch, but other early gearheads I've owned have used rope packing to seal the shift levers. Seems to me like WWII and later stuff had lip seals, early was often packing.

My fall '46 CW 16 X 102 Monarch has rope packing on shift lever shafting , and I made the face spanners to snug up the gland nuts (after lever removal). It still seeps, which is fine.

Back