What's new
What's new

Can you identify this lathe?

TJScharp

Aluminum
I just inherited a decent sized lathe, but I can't make out the brand from the grainy photo.
It appears to have a 40-50 bed.
Long enough to do a rifle barrel anyways :-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 706
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,104
You can call it anything you want, that same pattern was sold under many names and badges. There are several foundries in China that sell machine tool castings to anyone who wants to buy them. That is one of the ways in which some designs keep showing up with different names and different manufactures but with the same castings.

Charles

Not much of anything in America is American anymore Charles. Not even the people. If you don't recognize them and address them correctly as Polish, Russian, Norwegian, Chinese, Danish, African, Dutch or Mexican AMERICANS, you can get the old poky-stick-in-the-eye thingy. I won't even touch the Christian, Jewish and Muslim American issue. That could send me to hell and I don't even believe in God.

Not much of anything in America is American anymore Charles. Not even the people. If you don't recognize them and address them correctly as Polish, Russian, Norwegian, Chinese, Danish, African, Dutch or Mexican AMERICANS, you can get the old poky-stick-in-the-eye thingy. I won't even touch the Christian, Jewish and Muslim American issue. That could send me to hell and I don't even believe in God.

Ok, thanks for your comments but you have lost me as to your intent. Are you just randomly stating the obvious for your own pleasure or perhaps a few too many Canadian cocktails got you on a philosophical side track? ;)

I agree on the religion thing, best we leave that to a religious forum as through no fault of our own someone will get pissed off and then someone else will feel they have to contribute and well then we will all be in our own little hell. :)

Charles

Considering only one "critical" part has to be made in the USA for the company to to be able to say "Made in USA", very little if ANYTHING is actually 100% "Made in USA"

Thank God I am an athiest!!!

Ok, thanks for your comments but you have lost me as to your intent. Are you just randomly stating the obvious for your own pleasure or perhaps a few too many Canadian cocktails got you on a philosophical side track? ;)

I agree on the religion thing, best we leave that to a religious forum as through no fault of our own someone will get pissed off and then someone else will feel they have to contribute and well then we will all be in our own little hell. :)

Charles

Nupe, just agreeing with you Charles. It's the same thing here. Everything we designed, that used to have a made in Canada stamp on it, now has a made in a foreign country stamp. My reason? Call it a rant if you will. LOL

No worries Speer, I wasnt complaining either. It is sad that so much innovation has been allowed to slip away but then that isnt anything new, been going on as long as people have stepped across the river and talked to their neighbor. I am sure if the OP looks close there will be a stamp or tag someplace that will help him identify the lathe but in the end it doesnt matter a da.n. Hopefully he will post photos of his latest rifle that he made on it and that is what the tools we have are for anyway.

Charles

The lathe is built in Sweden (or was, now the build cnc )
Sounds like its very well built though

Yeah, when you posted the make I drew a total blank so I looked it up and you're right. It is Swiss made and from posts on other forums they are a really good machine but they have only made CNCs for the last few years. You go where the money is. . . .
People always start jumping up and down and screaming and yelling when a lathe or mill is discontinued because they figure parts are going to be hard to get. I always look at them and say: "Well, if you can't make every part on that machine short of the bed, motor and gear casing, you have no business owning the bloody thing in the first place." That's usually followed by the "bovine stare". It's like the deer-in the-headlights-look, except they don't shield their eyes with their hooves. he he

Sometimes you have to make your own entertainment !

OOPS Typo.
Swedish made.

Swedes or Swiss, It's all Greek to me! ;-)

Yeah, when you posted the make I drew a total blank so I looked it up and you're right. It is Swiss made and from posts on other forums they are a really good machine but they have only made CNCs for the last few years. You go where the money is. . . .
People always start jumping up and down and screaming and yelling when a lathe or mill is discontinued because they figure parts are going to be hard to get. I always look at them and say: "Well, if you can't make every part on that machine short of the bed, motor and gear casing, you have no business owning the bloody thing in the first place." That's usually followed by the "bovine stare". It's like the deer-in the-headlights-look, except they don't shield their eyes with their hooves. he he

Sometimes you have to make your own entertainment !

I wonder who did pour the castings? Sure looks like someone copied a popular design. ;-)

Now this doesn't apply to someone who has four lathes but if your machine is broken, how can you use it to make a new part?

Tony's website talks about the early history of the machines and they made some very nice looking machines at that. But the information on his site stops by the 1960s so if they continued to make them in Sweden or outsourced like so many other companies it is hard to say. What is in the company history is that they split the company into two units, one to make machine tools and the other to make boats. The boat side is still going strong, but the machine side merged with another company who made cnc machines and now that is all they make. No exact idea of when they stopped making the manual lathes but I would bet the one shown here would be pretty late.

Should be a nice machine and I am glad you shared it with us, please keep us informed of how you like it.

Charles

I own a Storebro lathe although an earlier model than that, and I must say it is my pride and joy. They are awesome well made machines, just not real common. If it is in decent shape you're a lucky guy.

Now this doesn't apply to someone who has four lathes but if your machine is broken, how can you use it to make a new part?

That's why it's important to be on good terms with all the other gunsmiths and machinists in town GGaskill. A box of beer or a bottle of corn sqeezins will always rent the use of a machine for a day.
233271.gif

Back