What's new
What's new

Feed Drive Pulley Bearing

mgberry

Aluminum
I am trying to remove the shaft that is driven by the flat belt pulley. It appears that I have a bearing that has gone bad that is likely buried behind it. I have opened up the area and can see the shaft, gear and the bearing in the back. There are end caps w set screws that appears to give you access to manipulate the shaft out. Here is a pic of what I need to get out.

DSCN2822.jpg
[/URL]

Before I do something I shouldn't, I figured Ill clear it w the experts :) Other than drilling a hole in the cap and using a slide hammer, Im not sure how else to get the cap off?

I have also noticed the gear attached to the pulley shaft is pretty tight against the large(wide) gear below it. When I feel the backlash of all others this one feels very tight. Its this normal?

Matt

edit: 1951 MG Square Dial w ELSR

I was able to pull the end cap off the pulley shaft and now can see that the bearing definitely needs to be replaced.

IMG_0302.jpg
[/URL]

Its going to be real tough to pull this bearing without removing the shaft. I can not seem to figure out how the shaft can be removed. Im guessing there is a set screw on the engagement gear that will allow the shaft to pull straight out? If so, how does one get to the set screw? The smaller end cap to the bottom left could open up an area to get an allen wrench in, but that seems awfully tight.

Matt

Sorry, but I suggest you pull the box. It's not that tough in the scheme of things, and makes things a whole lot easier.

Two idler wheels

I was able to pull the end cap off the pulley shaft and now can see that the bearing definitely needs to be replaced.

IMG_0302.jpg
[/URL]

Its going to be real tough to pull this bearing without removing the shaft. I can not seem to figure out how the shaft can be removed. Im guessing there is a set screw on the engagement gear that will allow the shaft to pull straight out? If so, how does one get to the set screw? The smaller end cap to the bottom left could open up an area to get an allen wrench in, but that seems awfully tight.

Matt

In the photo above I see two idler wheels, is this normal?

Two idler wheels for the V belts is standard (at least on later machines). I'm sure there are machines with only one out there, not sure if Monarch ever delivered any machines that way.

Paul

I wanted to report back that I did get the bearing out after quite a bit of kicking and screaming at the thing. I was able to pull it straight out w a slide hammer and a tool I made to reach up behind the bearing. You would not want to look at the bearing now ;) It was trashed before I started at it, so I dont feel to bad. In my earlier post I inquired about the gear mesh being tight...it ended up being the bearing that was causing the grinding. With the bearing out, the shaft is spinning nice and smooth. A new bearing is on its way and will be here next week.

I would have pulled the gearbox apart to pull the shaft first, but I need to figure out if the machine is worthy of a rebuild. I figured I rather get it up and running and run it a bit to figure out what my next move will be. Now I can focus on some test cuts and relax a bit.

Matt

Back