What's new
What's new

Barrel turning question

Jeff K

Aluminum
I have a SB 9A and want to turn the barrel of a rifle to accept a screw on muzzle brake. How can I put an indicator on a .300 rifled bore to be sure I am centered? Seems like the lands and grooves would provide a challenge.

Put a gauge pin in the bore (very carefully) that is just close enough not to rotate easily and the indicate off the pin. It's your barrel so you know you need to be careful chasing the gauge pin size, from small to large alternating between go and no-go until it's just right. I was so nervous about doing to the muzzle that I made up a set of brass gauge pins to work in 308 bores.

Since the bore is probably .299 to .301 it will not take to many tries to make a gauge with a light slip fit. You will probably need a screw chuck (Spider chuck or cats head) on the opposite side of the spindle to help stabilize the barrel and allow for bore crookedness. I made one out of a scrap piece of bronze for my 9C. 30 years ago when I made it, a tool and die make said to put 3 screws in it, that was a mistake 4 screws is the way to go. So make your pin, then make a screw chuck, then you are ready to thread. Otherwise you may spend 2 hours trying to get the barrel lined up and find you have to start over or be tempted to finish it with a bad set up.

Back