What's new
What's new

Remove action bars on Winchester 1400 MKII?

Gunny65

Plastic
How do you remove the action bars, piston, and spring assembly on a Winchester Model 1400 MKII? (internal piston automatic)

The stud rotates. I am afraid to pull to much and break the stud or whatever retains the stud. I can't see any other way to remove the darn thing though.

Next: Same gun. The removal of the action bar set is in preparation for removing the magazine tube to put a new magazine throat and carrier release in. Other than tapping out the magazine once the action bars are removed, is there anything else I should be careful of NOT breaking? :)

I get a little over zealous at times and break small parts so I am asking first to hopefully avoid any unnecessary breakage. I am getting better. :)

Thanks guys.

Ah.....YouTube. I need to remember and check there. Thank you for the link. It helped. I figured it was easy but I didn't want to break anything.

I plan on using a rubber mallet and driving the magazine tube into the receiver so I can replace the magazine throat. Does anyone have a easy method of getting the throat and tube back in place?

I could make a sort of slide hammer, put the end nut on and tap it into place but I was hoping not to have to make something.

Thanks again for the link Lowell. It was very helpful.

A slide hammer is the easiest method to pull the mag tube back into position. Go to hardware store and buy a 1" steel pipe nipple, 6" long.

RWO

Thanks, I will give that a shot.

For those who cant follow the link, or do not want to, the method is as follows. Pull the piston spring back toward the action with what ever tool you like. I used a screw driver. It is under some pretty good tension so be careful (that tension is what stops the pin from just falling out). Hold the spring back away from the piston and pop the pin out with another screw driver, or your fingers if it isn't tight. Mine was. The pin is not a screw/bolt, does not have a cotter pin, and it does not have any other means of holding the pin in other than the tension of the spring. Once the pin is out pull the piston out the end, turn the magazine so it is pointing down at the floor or something soft on your bench and pull the screw driver out from in front of the spring. That's it.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Back