What's new
What's new

Srcaping Class in Kalamazoo Michigan

Hickory

Aluminum
I am considering hosting one of Richard King's scraping classes in the Kalamazoo, MI area this spring. This is still in the talking stage. Anyone out there interested? Any feedback would be appreciated to make this the best possible experience for everyone.

Jim

Sounds like a fun class, I enjoy scraping even with my homemade HSS scraper.
I'd love to go but can't for too many reasons.
Cheers

Hi Kevin,
Everything is in a very preliminary state right now. Once we get some more people's input, this can start to take shape. One possibility is to have a Friday, Saturday, Sunday class. Rich said it would take 8 or 9 people to make this work. Price would be dictated by the number of participants.
Jim

PS The mill I got from you was everything you said it was and more. It's almost ready to put into service.

I am ready and willing...ha ha.....The cost would be per day and the average day charge is around $250 - $300.00. I have had a few students come for 1 or 2 days, but in order for it to happen we need 8 full 3 day students to make it happen. In the past after we pick a set in stone date, i say we have to have the 8 students registered and a 1/2 down payment 45 days prior to the class or we won't do it. When we get the 8 students I will cash the checks and send a DVD and work booklet. If we fail to get the 8 students i will either tear the check up or return it to you.

To all those who attend you will receive the best class I can teach you so you will know how to scrape and do basic rebuilding and leveling / aligning in the 3 days. In the last class we did in PA, we had 11 full time students and one gentleman who came for one day, Jamie the host had an area in his shop approx 15 x 20' with 2 big work benches and a granite plate where we did the class. In the MPLS class a few years ago we had 8 full time, 2 who came for 2 days and 1 who came for 1 day in a 2 1/2 car garage / shop. You can look at my profile and see a picture of the Ashland WI class we had 4 yrs ago.
PM Jim or discuss a date with him that would work for you and let me know...the sooner the better. I suppose if we do it in the spring you should work it around fishing opener for the students?
I plan on attending Cabin Fever in the spring and I believe the PA guys said it was in April. We are also talking about doing one in Vancouver BC in May or June. But now lets see who can attend this one and go from there. Happy New Year! Rich

We are getting a good response from several forums for the scraping class. Will keep everyone posted on further details.

Jim

Today Jan 7, 2014 Jim and I talked on the phone and decided on May 16, 17 and 18TH - 8 AM to 6 PM at his shop in Hickory Corners MI. 49060.
He has a nice sized shop with everything we will need. We will be emailing everyone in Mass mailings soon who have responded. I will be collecting 1/2 down to reserve the spot for you. I will take a personal check that I will not cash until we have the required 8 - 3 day students registered and 1/2 down paid. He has also offered to extend the class 2 more days for anyone who can stay. The price will be prorated lower because my air ticket will be included in the first 3 days. The class we be like the other classes we have down lately. Day 1 Learn to Hand-Scrape and hand Flake a small surface plate. 1 to 2 hours of classroom day 1 too. Day 2. Learn to Biax Power-Scrape and Flake and start your personal project you will bring of Jim will provide you. Day 3 we will finish if we have time your personal project with my help, learn to level and align a lathe, how to straighten a tapered gib, how to set gibs, how to check squareness of machines. Discuss oil lubrication methods and oil groves, how to apply and scrape Turcite / Rulon, etc. The last class we had in PA one of the students did not want to learn to Power Scrape and just hand scraped the whole class. The price will be discussed in the emails and I can send you an invoice of needed. The cost will probably be around $285 to $300.00 a day for the 3 day class. After we have the 8 -full time student we will accept a small number of one or 2 day students and possibly observer's on Sunday.

Jim is looking into local motels and he said there is a camp ground very close. More later. Richard
Email me for more info or PM Hickory or me. [email protected]

We are still looking for a few good men and women to attend this class. We have 3 confirmed students, but need 5 to 8 more to sign up before April 1, 2014 for the 3 day weekend class in May. If you can make it or know else contact Hickory the host or I. Rich

We now have 4 paid students and need 4 more. I have decided to set the price at $775.00 for the 3 day class. After we have 4 more 3 day students i will accept 1 and 2 day students at $260.00 a day. Rich

Just to let you folks thinking about it know.......

I am buying this from Jody.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...camelback-straightedge-60-sw-michigan-281579/

Rich has indicated an interest in doing it over during the class - thanks Rich - let's shoot for 30 points.

Host Jim (Hickory) has graciously offered to pick it up from seller, take it to his shop and ship it later - after the class - to me. He has a surface plate just big enough to spot it on the diagonal. Thanks Jim.

Attendees have a nice class in store.

Back