What's new
What's new

small lathe

chappo555

Plastic
Hello to all practical machinist's. I am chasing a small lathe mostly for turning modified cases like the Hornady Lock N Load style. I have a tap for this function but struggle ensuring I get it perfectly aligned in a drill press. I am using my mates large lathe but cant keep using it all the time. I need a spindle bore of at least 20mm as I occasionally turn aluminium tubing for wind flag poles as well. I only need 200 to 300mm travel and dont need powered feed. I am on a tight budget at the moment.

Anyone got any ideas of what is available of if there are any other options for the type of work I am doing?

Many thanks in advance

Chappo

Have you tried Gum tree? Depending where you are you could get a Myford but they are a bit pricy $1500 for a worn one other than that scary forbs sell some for under a grand but they are rubbish for real work.

I think there are a few capstan lathes available in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne for under a grand but be warned they are heavy!

Welcome to the forum!
Look on your local craigslist, South Bends some up often, as well as Atlas's.
Good luck!

A Southbend would be a good choice, they are common, there is a lot of info about them and tooling is relatively cheap.

He is in Australia. They dont have many South Bends there.
They did have a clone, called Hercus.
Page Title

Luckily for him, they didnt have Atlas there either...
(as a former owner, I have to say it was pretty much the single worst machine I have ever owned)

Chappo, with the closing down of Ford,Holden and now Toyota, most of their toolroom machinery will be auctioned off. Keep an eye out for upcoming auctions.

Regards Glen

Back