What's new
What's new

Mystery Part

ajwesley

Plastic
We have an item that came along with our used Brown & Sharpe CMM. I understand that it is a training part that may have originally shipped with the new machine. Does anyone have a print or (even better) CAD model of this item?

Thanks.

IMG_4963.jpg

I know a paper copy of what it is supposed to be would be great....

...but can't you use the CMM to measure it? and double check its measurements with other means of checking, to verify dimensions (if that matters to you).

It looks similar to one I've seen at work (going by foggy memory), and I've never used it. I'll take a look. Ours is a mitutoyo CMM with B&S software.

Can't you ask Brown & Sharpe? I can't imagine they'd hold back the standard print for this, assuming it was the test part it came with originally.

It was only a training tool (part to have something to measure) used with the tutorial. I had one with the first B. S. I had. If you have the manuals you will see it in the examples for measuring holes, angles, levels, and sizes ect.

I believe Brown & Sharpe refers to it as a "Test Block". I've got one somewhere, and I think a print for it, too. Hafta do some digging... The one you show looks just like the one I have. The older ones (like this) are aluminum; I've seen newer ones (also from B & S) made from molded plastic.

My apologies to TPTB, but here's a link to a collection of CAD models of various test blocks from various manufacturers on another forum. Not sure if you have to register to get access.

It's also included in a standard PC-DMIS installation as Bsbsolid.igs and bsbwire.igs, if you did a default installation it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\WAI\PC DMIS {your version}

If neither of these two options works for you, PM me and I'll send you a model - it's on a different computer.

As for the print, it's included in most of the PC-DMIS training class books. That one would be a little bit harder for me to find, it's archived somewhere at home. I'll try to remember to look for it.

I believe Brown & Sharpe refers to it as a "Test Block". I've got one somewhere, and I think a print for it, too. Hafta do some digging... The one you show looks just like the one I have. The older ones (like this) are aluminum; I've seen newer ones (also from B & S) made from molded plastic.

The new ones are total junk. The worst part about them is they're so thin walled you're constantly running into problems with the software finding the other side of the surface. I won't train with them, only the solid parts.

My apologies to TPTB, but here's a link to a collection of CAD models of various test blocks from various manufacturers on another forum. Not sure if you have to register to get access.

It's also included in a standard PC-DMIS installation as Bsbsolid.igs and bsbwire.igs, if you did a default installation it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\WAI\PC DMIS {your version}

If neither of these two options works for you, PM me and I'll send you a model - it's on a different computer.

As for the print, it's included in most of the PC-DMIS training class books. That one would be a little bit harder for me to find, it's archived somewhere at home. I'll try to remember to look for it.

Thanks Eehotaka.

Got the CAD model. I did have to register but it looks like another good forum.

The new ones are total junk. The worst part about them is they're so thin walled you're constantly running into problems with the software finding the other side of the surface. I won't train with them, only the solid parts.

YEP. I have to laugh at the PC-DMIS training sessions using these new plastic parts...as if the poor saps didn't have enough to figure out, they now have to deal with a part that doesn't measure anywhere near print numbers...

YEP. I have to laugh at the PC-DMIS training sessions using these new plastic parts...as if the poor saps didn't have enough to figure out, they now have to deal with a part that doesn't measure anywhere near print numbers...

I'm OK with the parts being "OOT", it's a great way to build confidence for a programmer (Instructor: "Are you sure that part's bad?"), it's the uselessness of it as training tool for CAD.

Back