What's new
What's new

King Way Hand Machine Tool Scraping Class to be held in Minnesota

bmikkalson

Hot Rolled
I will be hosting a hand scrapping seminar taught by Rich King from Hand Scraping. Those of you that are interested in the art of hand scraping are welcome to join.

Location- St,Paul Minnesota.
Date - Sept 19-21 2014
Cost- $400 deposit is required to hold your spot.
Contact-Please PM or call 651-210-3448 Ben

The instructor limits the class to 6 so he can give each student the necessary individual attention. Students will learn hand scraping, power scraping, and machine tool inspection (determining the amount of wear and correction to return machine surfaces to straight, flat, and square.) In this part of the class the instructor will discuss and use a spirit level and the King-Way Alignment gage (invented by his father) to level and align a machine, and discuss how to rebuild lathes, surface grinders, milling machines, etc. He will teach how to straighten and scrape a gib, where and when to half-moon oil-flake and many other tricks of the trade of machine tool rebuilding. In addition, he will glue a piece of Turcite*or Rulon* to a bar and show how to scrape it.

The instructor is a journeyman machine tool rebuilder/builder. He was taught to hand scrape by his father in the 1960s. In 1984 he started teaching scraping at GM and now has taught at 8 divisions of GM, Rolls Royce, Cummins, John Deere, and at US Naval bases. He has taught at over 40 new machine builders in the US and around the world.
(LatheHand)

Last edited:
who the heck is lathehand....?

G'day Rich.

I think it was actually "millhand" not lathehand. You had me worried for a minute. R.C goes by the name lathefan on youtube.

Hands-On Metal Scraping Class Taught by a 40-year Veteran of the Machine Rebuilding I [Archive] - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

It was something in the offerings in 2011. Our mate Robert / Lazlo was in there. That reminds me, I have to write him , to find out how he is. He hasn't been online lately.

I only googled it, I grab a string of words, then search it.

Regards Phil

Phil you should be appointed this forums "Historian"....I have seen you pull things out of the attic several times. Lazlo has a new job that takes him to Asia....I also miss has candor and insight on here :-) > Ben the MN host lives about 20 min from my house... good deal for me...I can drive over there and not have to clean my shop to do a class in MN. :-)

This class is minutes from my house...I will be doing this class short handed or a lot less then I normally charge. I have asked Ben not to advertise the price on the forum, You can email, PM Ben or Me if you need the info... Rich

It's not a secret as we have a master list of attendee's where we email everything. I will advertise the class and price on for sale. But to me the discussion of price should be kept out of the main forum. Rich

I recall about 10 years ago when i needed a change and sold used machinery and taught the classes. I was really tired of rebuilding machines, quoting machines, etc. But after 4 years of not scraping. I started to get calls from old clients who needed some small stuff rebuilt. Then when I started the scraping. I recall thinking and saying to friends, "I was having fun scraping". I missed it, but didn't miss the BS of quoting and collecting the money.

I had Volvo contact me about teaching a class and rebuilding a gear machine during the class. All was great on the phone, but when i saw their Purchase Order and saw the terms of net 120...I told them 1/2 in advance / balance due the day I leave. They said that what all vendors accept. I told them to go and find someone else, but not in those exact words...

Now I say time and material and Fast Pay with a discount....The only way to do it. Rich

Rich,

Its completely asinine to keep the cost a secret. Or don't you want people to know that your getting paid $900.00 x 6 = $5400.00 for three days work?

Todd

Rich,

Its completely asinine to keep the cost a secret. Or don't you want people to know that your getting paid $900.00 x 6 = $5400.00 for three days work?

Todd

Todd that is cheap to learn how to scrape and rebuild machines. If that seems a lot to you, that's your opinion. If that was high why do people pay that. ?? I listed the prices in a advertisement under the classified where prices belong. For everyone else please check the comments from all the students who have taken the class and they I am sure felt they got their monies worth. It take's me a lot more then 3 days. I have to prepare for the classes. Fly or drive to the location. The fee includes my my expenses.

I know you could give a shit, but I supply 20,000.00 worth of tools to the class free of charge plus to all my students I will give them advise for free until the day I die. When you have someone who teaches how to rebuild machines and can open a rebuild company like several have over the years. Do your own scraping when rebuilders charge over $100.00 an hour, 750 to 800.00 for in USA is cheap to do it yourself..

Back