What's new
What's new

Printing a Cresent Wrench

what is the price? print a cresent wrench for $100, $200, $300 that normally cost $3 at the HF store ?
not many mention the hugh cost of 3D printing, both the machine and the consumables. in case somebody says they got a machine that only cost $1 but forgets to mention consumables are $100/lb
beware people trying to sell you machines that are too good to be true

At 2:57 into the video, you'll see that the scanner is equipped with x-ray vision and was able to determine the actual shape of the axle located within the wrench housing - as he says "just that easy". No doubt "proprietary" technology.

And complete home remodels can be completed in a matter of several days - I know this `cuz I've seen it done on TV and stuff.

And we wonder why so many in our society are so utterly clueless?

Regardless of such bullshit, 3D printing is cool and has it's place.

At 2:57 into the video, you'll see that the scanner is equipped with x-ray vision and was able to determine the actual shape of the axle located within the wrench housing - as he says "just that easy". No doubt "proprietary" technology.

And complete home remodels can be completed in a matter of several days - I know this `cuz I've seen it done on TV and stuff.

And we wonder why so many in our society are so utterly clueless?

Regardless of such bullshit, 3D printing is cool and has it's place.

I edited my post to make it easier for the masses to read yo:

at 2:57 into the vid youll see that the scanner is equipped with xray vision and was able to determine the actual shape of the axle located within the wrench housing as he says just that easy no doubt proprietary technology and complete home remodels can be completed in a matter of several days I know this cuz I seen it done on TV and stuff and we wonder why so many in our society are so utterly clueless regardless of such bullshit 3D printing is cool and has its place

I will never understand why people who unilaterally bash '3d printing' continue to read and post in a forum dedicated to it. I don't like ballet dancing - you won't find me reading and posting in some forum about it.

Anyways, the crescent wrench is pretty much the de-facto show-off tool for all additive prints because it's a working tool and it's parts-inside-parts, which is one of the selling points. It's functional, so it's better than a stupid little puzzle piece. I saw a SLS machine laser sintering some nylon plastic that did a cresent wrench head but also did a complete chain.

The "purpose" of printing these things is to show the capabilities of the machine... not because it's a part everyone will be wanting to print. That's a pretty obvious thing, I assumed. I guess I shouldn't assume so much of people.

In my experience 3D printing is EXTREMELY inexpensive. Chances are those that think it is expensive are thinking your making crescent wrenches :). We make parts with our 3D printers that take several hours to print. We used to machine them on a 5 axis and literally take days!

So, much, much cheaper.

It's more about bashing foolishness, not 3D printing. Take this wrench for example. It's not really forged and heat treated is it? So is it a wrench or a model of a wrench? Could you put it on a 1.5" nut with a 3' snipe and hang off it? I would suspect not.

Now I'm literally going to put my laptop away and go start a job on our FDM printer at work.

10-15 years ago they were demonstrating the 3d printed crescent wrench when I was in college, the only thing thats changed is the hype that surrounds the machines.

These machines have had decades to make some tangible progress, but they've remained pretty stagnant. When compared to the advances made with NC machines and how they took off like a rocket over a couple decades the 3d printers have alot of catching up to do. While the results of modern machine tools speak for themselves the 3d printers are relying on alot of showmanship to joe public.

And here they are, still showing off a plastic wrench all these years later.

There's gotta be some real big leaps in material science before these printers start becoming viable.

Here I am, the uneducated about 3-D printing. It is perceivable in my ignorance that a printer and computer will replace my Mazak and my Bridgeport. I find this frightening that I could soon be out of a job. I react poorly from a place of fear. When I was younger I was much less frightened and much more interested in advancing technology. As I grow older I resist new technology, and stay stuck, mired in my ways.

Tim

These machines have had decades to make some tangible progress, but they've remained pretty stagnant.
That's both true and false.

The stagnation you see is from manufacturers and people who are having to work constrained by patents made by a few. Those few whom benefit from a broken patent system have abused it by patenting very broad ideas which tie the hands of the rest of the manufacturing market. Many patents are recently expired or about to expire and you will soon see competition at its best, again, in the machine designs.

However, despite all this, there have been GREAT innovations and steps forward in additive manufacturing. Materials have broadened, new markets investigated (even building construction) and even whole new processes.

I recently saw a SLS printer for under $6k which puts one of the most fantastic additive processes (frikkin lasers </Dr Evil>) into the hands of the hobbyist.

However, for commercial grade machines, there are still advancements. A lot of it is refining current technology though, and making it better, so it's not something the casual observer will notice.

There's gotta be some real big leaps in material science before these printers start becoming viable.

It's already viable. I don't know what you think it's supposed to be doing that it isn't. Typically when people underestimate additive manufacturing machines (I hate the buzz word '3d printer' sorry, though I know it's commonplace now) it's because they are assuming it's supposed to do something grand, broad, or completely out of scope. This is brought on mostly by the equally-ignorant enthusiasts that post blogs about their hopes and dreams and aspirations... all of which are currently inane, or simply hopes and dreams for a century-from-now-utopia.

It's already viable. I don't know what you think it's supposed to be doing that it isn't..

Making a part that can compete with the material properties and cost effectiveness of the average conventionally machined product. Like they've been promising for decades "Just like a real wrench".

Hell, Il be impressed if they can make a fully "printed" tensile, izod or charpy test specimen that competes with a conventional material, regardless the cost.

Foxconn president Terry Gou doesn't have too high of an opinion of the technology in general, and if anyone should be invested in additive manufacturing I would expect them to.

I don't know anyone credible who has stated that you'll be able to print a crescent wrench out of plastic that will compete with current selections at Harbor Freight.

As for being a viable replacement for machined parts, look at NASA. They've used SLS to manufacture engine-critical components on launch rockets by laser sintering inconel. This was made via selective laser melting. Hot-Fire Tests Show 3-D Printed Rocket Parts Rival Traditionally Manufactured Parts | NASA

SpaceX uses the process on many critical components of the Draco engine, most poignantly an oxygen valve - http://www.space.com/26899-spacex-3d-printing-rocket-engines.html Then again on the SuperDraco, the engine is /fully/ 3D Printed : "SuperDraco engines were made entirely with a 3-D printer out of an extremely durable metal superalloy called Inconel and will be the first 3-D printed rocket engine to ever experience flight." http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/06/02/elon-musk-makes-3-d-printing-history.aspx

It's another manufacturing tool in the toolbox. It's not going to replace milling any more than welding did.

"Like they've been promising" was probably by evangelist idiots rather than actual engineers and toolmakers who build this stuff.

I don't know anyone credible who has stated that you'll be able to print a crescent wrench out of plastic that will compete with current selections at Harbor Freight.

Anything after 4:11 in the video posted. Proponents have been using pitches like this for years.

"You've got a real tool you can use for functional tasks"
"Just like you would a real wrench"

Anything from Space-x or its medicine show hustling sister corporation Tesla motors I take with a serious grain of salt. And Nasa can't even send men into space anymore.

Until they come up with a simple material test report that shows it competing in properties i'l remain underwhelmed. When the day comes I'l be a full convert and true believer

It's another manufacturing tool in the toolbox. It's not going to replace milling any more than welding did.

I'l agree with you, but other proponents are using that illusion for publicity which may be paying off now but is going to bite them in the ass in a few years. I really do want this technology to mature, but for every 1 advance theres 40 bullshitters who are trying to make a buck on it trying to trump it up as something its not.

I agree with you that the fanatical marketing will always make me roll my eyes. I /like/ new technology and processes, though I approach them with cynicism and analytical criticism until they've proved tangible potential. I've used 3d printing for a great many things, even some /functional/ non-prototype parts.

However, I'm not sure why you keep going back to material property comparisons. I don't understand your gripe there, or what you're comparing, in order to get an apples-to-apples idea of the differences.

Regardless of your derision of SpaceX, NASA has no marketing, glamour, or aspirations of changing the industry or shoring up anything for personal interests. Their only interest is accomplishing missions as best they can. So I would take NASA's use at face value. I only use the 'space' parts because it's hard to imagine components under more dire conditions than a liquid rocket engine getting shuttles outside LEO.

There are many other industries benefiting from additive manufacturing. Boeing has been using the process for flight parts for commercial and military for over a decade. Weight saved on aircraft yields significant fuel savings. They also use them for parts in tool making. We have used 3d printed plastic parts for many components when making large tool assemblies for them. This is for projects as old as the Chinook, even, though obviously it's a recent revision, not an original design spec.

Then there's the interesting differential metal sintering that SLS can achieve. There are, obviously, ways to weld different metals, as well as create differential metal stock via explosive means. However, SLS can achieve very selectively placed differential metal gradients. You can have an assortment of different metal properties throughout a part where you want it. It's a design tool for specialty parts, for sure. I imagine it might also allow one to be more selective of very expensive metals or alloys, and place them ONLY where needed, rather than buying a whole piece of stock and removing what you can get to, and possibly leaving it where you don't need it, simply because of the original stock properties.

Back to plastics, the medical industry has a really interesting benefit that a friend just linked me to just a few minutes ago: Finally, a practical use for 3D printing: Helping surgeons rehearse ? The Register "According to Sherry, the ability to use 3D printed models to pre-bend titanium implants has reduced surgery time significantly..... .....As demonstrated in a recent maxillofacial procedure at Salisbury District Hospital, the ability to pre-bend the titanium plate prior to surgery enabled surgeons to secure the perfect custom fit. This reduced the number of incisions required and overall theatre time, directly impacting the quality of patient care."

And Finally... stop looking reading into these crescent wrench videos. It /is/ a functional tool. No it's not better, nor is it even good at being a wrench. It's just a demonstration of geometry and capabilities. It expresses the ability to achieve a single print with completely internal components that didn't need a weld step, as well as the ability to make a complete assembly after pushing one button. It's a demonstration of ideas. You should know better than to listen to snake-oil salesmen - they exist in metal manufacturing just as much as 3d printing, this is nothing new.

It /is/ a functional tool. No it's not better, nor is it even good at being a wrench.

No........its not. Its not a wrench anymore then if it was made of Lego or whittled out of wood.

However, I'm not sure why you keep going back to material property comparisons.
Thats the most important aspect.

If the technology is going to be pitched as a means of more efficiently making a design made by conventional methods, it better have the same or better properties as a conventional material.

Back