What's new
What's new

Etalon 260 series mics

ExMachina161

Plastic
Doing research on micrometers, I read that the new 260 series Etalon mics are hard to read because of the new thimble markings. Tesa doesn't use the staggered long, short, long marks anymore.
Does anyone have a new 260 mic?
Is it difficult to read? Your opinions please.
I have an older 260.

Doing research on micrometers, I read that the new 260 series Etalon mics are hard to read because of the new thimble markings. Tesa doesn't use the staggered long, short, long marks anymore.
Does anyone have a new 260 mic?
Is it difficult to read? Your opinions please.
I have an older 260.

Reading dimensions off a thimble is never as easy as reading a digital. I think mostly it's a question of what you are used to. With some, old habits die hard.

I have the newer varieties. The ones that cause some trouble are marked with a long division BETWEEN the numbered divisions. Etalon has always marked their thimbles with numbers every five thousandths. The new ones, rather that having long divisions for the .001, .002, .003 and so forth, like the old ones (and shorter hash marks for the .0005 increments), have shorter marks for the half thou, longer ones for the one thou, and a longer one yet for the .0025 mid mark between the numbered marks. Just takes some getting used to. I love mine.

Back