What's new
What's new

Sheldon 10" cross slide and compaund disassembly.

Borisio

Plastic
I became a proud owner of 10" x 38" old Sheldon. There is no serial number, just a small riveted metal plate with number 21 stamped on it. The machine works, but it needs cleaning and re-adjustments. I've some experience with China lathes removing and adjusting the cross slide, but cannot figure it out on this machine. The lathe looks like it's circa 1938. I would appreciate any help. Also do you know if some of the parts from another lathes are interchangeable - like the compaund, four jaws chuck, gears, etc.

You may wish to repost this in the Antiques subforum, more people who frequent that subforum will be familiar with your question on this machine.

Charles

Look at the far right end of the bed. There should be a number stamped on the flat way.
Yahoo Sheldon is not at all like PM. But join and questions are answered via email.
Some parts are interchangeable between the 10" and 11" lathes. But it depends on what and the year.
Spindle threads might be the same.
Some chucks require a back plate, others might be threaded.

Yes this thread is in the wrong forum. It needs to be moved to Antiques.
John

short answer-on some of them you must first remove the cross slide nut retaining bolt, then just loosen gib and slide off toward the back.

join the yahoo Sheldon group for answers on just about anything Sheldon.

Congrats, Sheldon is a top quality lathe. There should be a stamping by the tail stock with a man number. To pull the carriage off you need to remove the hold down on the back side. The cross slide comes off by removing the gib and the cross slide nut. The sheldon lathe group has lots of good info. Shame less plug I manufacture replacement way wipes....

Back