What's new
What's new

No Ring Standards?

Ox

Diamond
Seen these come through the watch list tonight:

3 Mitutoyo Inside Micrometer Total 225 300 mm 9 12" 3 Point Bore Holtest Vernier | eBay

So what are you s'posed to doo with these?
Trust that they are correct 'till the cows come home?
(Cows not been home here in decades!)

Why would you have them and not have the standards?
And if you did have the standards, why would you not sell them as a set?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Why would you have them and not have the standards?

1) Not the original owner selling, possibly got separated, also likely why they are inexpensive for what they are.

2) Because surplus sellers are jerks? I've seen whole lathes for sale piece by piece on eBay. It's a huge dick move to try and get the most money by making people fight over components when there's likely someone trying to get the whole as well.

Hi Ox,

Most likely they can get significantly more money selling the pieces than selling the complete set.

We see this all the time with various categories of merchandise.

In the seller's defense...
Most likely standards of this size would have their own boxes, not be included in the box with the mics as for smaller sizes.
The boxes shown in the photos are too small to hold standards of this size.

(BTW... If you're measuring cows, you don't need this level of accuracy. :eek: )

- Leigh

Use hands for a cow - right?
(we really was only concerned with #* daily and B/F content...)

I know that the rings would be in a separate box AND they would have been sold separately when new as well, but it would seem that anyone with mics would have had'ta buy some rings to make them work.

I checked this sellers other items and came up with no "standard" and only one "ring", and it Shirley was pathetic compared to the size that would be required. Heck - it looked like it would barely fit on your finger!

* That is a "pound" symbol. Not a Hashbrown!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm not getting the "problem".

If bought individually then 3 standards are necessary - 1 for each. If bought as a set of 3 then only 2 standards are necessary due to the overlap.

As Leigh wrote standards would have been separate so they almost certainly went their separate ways long ago.

If standards were included then the price would be a good bit higher and everybody wants a "bargain".

Might be interesting to see if the standards appear as a an "offer" after the mikes have been sold LOL

Back