What's new
What's new

Are there 3d printers that could make something 6x15.5x25.5?

conceptsmachine

Aluminum
I'm trying to figure out if a piece that I'd like rapid prototyped could be 3d printed? It's essentially a 5 sided box , or a cover/lid, if you will. Basically all the way around is 3/8 wall thickenss.
Wondering what it may cost , if it can be made, or if I should just try to make it out of sheet stock. Any suggestions? There is also a bottom half and some inserts that go in the middle to house some items. I can make those easy enough. Maybe a 3d printer could make the entire unit, which would be about 10"x15.5x25.5
thanks for any info you can pass.
doesn't matter the material make up, as long as it's durable enough to hold up to minor stress, so im open to all prototyping methods within reason.

Yes. It can be done. Cost a small fortune for the pleasure though. Several things to consider. First off, build time will be considerably longer with a 3/8" wall thickness, throughout. Consider shelling the solid and then modeling in some "drainage" holes if possible. This allows for faster build time, less material actually used, and the holes allow the unsintered material to be "drained" after the build. Also, smaller platforms can be used by splitting the parts in strategic places and dovetailing them back together after creation.

Just guessing, but I suspect that of the many methods you could use, 3D printing for that size envelope is probably at the top of the cost scale. That size is in the realm of large industrial printers, if there is actually a machine out there with that large a capacity.

There is a company called Protolabs that has 3D printing and CNC machining rapid turn service. I saw them at IMTS, and they may have some input for discussion. There are a number of other companies as well now, so you will likely need to contact several. (No connection with any of them, BTW)

Thanks guys, that's something to consider. Yes, the part doesn't need to have a complete 3/8 thickness. When you say small fortune, I'm guessing in the 5k range...possibly more? I'd like to just make the darn box with a mill, but back figuring all the darn tapers and what not would probably take me 2 weeks. I'll see if I can get with the customer and see what we can figure out. It's basically a tote, but with a tall lid and midsection that is built to house a few items. Something I can make at the shop but it'll probably cost an arm and a leg that way too.

they just came out with a new volcano nozzle that can print much thicker and taller layer heights. Filastruder once again made a nice improvement in the game. I look for that to be a huge improvement in things like this. It will also increase how fast the prints can run off. I'd recommend doing a hex infill to cut down on filament cost and time. Both of those are factored into the cost. Most places charge by cm3 used. Check out 3d hubs for a 3d printer near you and they can probably further help you.

Thanks guys, that's something to consider. Yes, the part doesn't need to have a complete 3/8 thickness. When you say small fortune, I'm guessing in the 5k range...possibly more? I'd like to just make the darn box with a mill, but back figuring all the darn tapers and what not would probably take me 2 weeks. I'll see if I can get with the customer and see what we can figure out. It's basically a tote, but with a tall lid and midsection that is built to house a few items. Something I can make at the shop but it'll probably cost an arm and a leg that way too.

Check out re:3D. We have a large 24" x 30" x 24" (X, Y, Z) printer and we may be able to print one for you.
-Matthew

they just came out with a new volcano nozzle that can print much thicker and taller layer heights. Filastruder once again made a nice improvement in the game. I look for that to be a huge improvement in things like this. It will also increase how fast the prints can run off. I'd recommend doing a hex infill to cut down on filament cost and time. Both of those are factored into the cost. Most places charge by cm3 used. Check out 3d hubs for a 3d printer near you and they can probably further help you.

I am pretty sure that the OP is looking for better quality than hobby level filament printers. I might be mistaken though...

Just use a table saw and a router and cut machine grade ABS or window grade Polycarbonate sheet.

You can use Weld on 3 to butt glue the edges, leaving overlap, then use a flush bearing trim router bit to finish.

if using the mill you can add inter locking notches that will help offset incconcistant wall thickness

or laser cut or water jet I can show after the holiday.

We just got a Fortus 900. We can print (36 x 24 x 36 in.)
About Fortus 900mc 3D Prototyping Machine | Stratasys

It is so cool!!! We jsut printed a full sized tolder car seat that took up the entire table. Does not hurt to send your part in for a quote.
rpservices - Cimquest Inc., Manufacturing Solutions

AG

Drool...

We have an SST1200es right now (and a couple others), but really want to figure out how to get a decent deal trading up to a Fortus - the software for it gives you so much more control.

I only have experience with polyjet printers. I would guess you part would be over 5k to print on one of those machines.

It's basically a tote, but with a tall lid and midsection that is built to house a few items. Something I can make at the shop but it'll probably cost an arm and a leg that way too.

How many are you making?
Is this something your local cabinet maker (or maybe patternmaker) could make out of a plastic product like ABS, Corian, Avonite, or similar, or even wood on a pin router or cnc router?

I know Macgyver does weird and complex stuff like that on his cnc.

smt

You could also use a large platform SLS (sinter station) with glass filled nylon material. Your part size is close to the limits on the largest EOS dual laser machine, but doable. The Selective Laser Sintering may be more cost effective than the FDM.

Don

Back