What's new
What's new

A little different take on a Swedish Mauser scope mount.

deerefanatic

Aluminum
Hi all, I have a 1915 Carl Gustov swedish Mauser that I purchased a few years ago to build in to a long-range shooter. My eyes aren't the best, so my capabilities with iron sights are limited to say the least. :D It's a good clean gun, but not all-numbers-matching, so I don't feel bad sporting it up a little. I've looked around and it seems the two options are either 1) Use a scout mount with a pistol scope or 2) Small ring mauser scope rings with a rifle scope and modified bolt handle.

I'm not really impressed with either method. The scout mounts have way more eye relief than I'd like, and I like to see at least 9x scope, which won't happen with a pistol scope. Modifying the bolt handle isn't my thing as I would also need to inlet the stock and I just don't want to go down that road..

So here's my thought; as I live south of the rifle zone in Michigan, I'm used to shotgun scopes as that's all we can hunt with. They're available up to 12x pretty easily. I have a spare 4-10x scope hanging around, so I took it and had a friend hold it on top of the rifle so that the bolt handle will clear it when operated, and the eye relief was just about perfect! So my thought is make a mount to hold a shotgun scope. I was thinking of a piece of aluminum block machined to bridge from the iron sight mount to the front receiver ring. Remove the rear iron sight, drill/tap the large steel block that it's attached to. Then drill/tap the front receiver ring. Then mount the scope to this bridge.

I would think this would work ok. But just wanted to bounce it off some more knowledgeable people.

Thanks for any advice.

-Matt

Is there a good source on "blank" Weaver mount stock? I bough a foot long piece and it warped .030' on my first cut. The ad said it was made from cold rolled steel. I thought they would have used stress relieved material, but NOT. I have made 2 one piece mounts from scratch and used hot rolled material to get away from the warping.

Back