What's new
What's new

Precision level

Don't know about a M&W "ELM," but Starrett, Lufkin, Pratt & Whitney etc. all have adjustments. I can't imagine a precision level without it.

Most precision levels have some small degree of adjustability. I tend to use a level as a comparator rather than an absolute instrument, so don't fuss with the adjustment on mine.

As for calibration, you can certainly measure/verify/map the response of the vial to controlled changes in inclination. I.e., how many vial divisions does the bubble move when I use a sine plate and tilt the level 0.001 per 12" (or whatever)? However, you cannot change the vial response. That's determined by curvature ground into the internal surface of the vial.

1) find the adjustment screw.

2) on a stable surface (accross your lathe ways? your surface plate?) set up your level and take a reading.

3) rotate level 180- degrees and take another reading.

4) if the reading are not the same, move the adjustment screw. (you'll figure out which way, eventually)

5) repeat until the readings are the same.

6) calibration complete.

4) if the reading are not the same, move the adjustment screw. (you'll figure out which way, eventually)
Adjust the screw to remove ONE HALF of the error.

That should put it right on. If not, repeat the adjustment.

Note that the surface used to support the level must be accurately flat, but need not be precisely level.
Also, the rotation should be exactly 180 degrees, as close as you can do it. A right-angle corner fixture helps a lot.

- Leigh

2) on a stable surface (accross your lathe ways? your surface plate?) set up your level and take a reading.

6) calibration complete.

Thank you all Gents!
I set up my old lathe using the level as a comparator (per Mr Friedbergs line of thinking). Just kept adjusting until they were about the same amount 'off bubble' and called it good. But I think Mr Spencer drilled it.....now I'll just have to find that adjustment.

6) calibration complete.

FYI....found the adjustment (little allen head on top), followed procedure.
Worked like a champ.
Took literally 3 minutes including checking. It took me longer to find how to adjust than it did to adjust.

Thanks!

Hi every body, this is my first post, few weeks ago, in an auction I bought several machine shop tools and in one box I found one Starret precision level but vial is missing, does anybody have an ideal were can I buy it?

Thanks!

Hi every body, this is my first post, few weeks ago, in an auction I bought several machine shop tools and in one box I found one Starret precision level but vial is missing, does anybody have an ideal were can I buy it?

Thanks!

Alrayo, thanks for posting, I can assume you have already asked Starret? Also please make sure you include your location in your user profile. It is required for you to have one. Just look at others posts and you will see how the location should look when you post. It is in the upper right hand corner of your post just under the join date.

If Starret doesnt have one for the model you have there are a few companies that sell them but it may be hard to find the exact one you need.

Charles

Back