What's new
What's new

Surface finishes at 112 Rockwell ?

reedeprintice

Stainless
So if there was a surface finish that was say .003 deep and converted say 25 Rockwell material on the face to 112 I would think there would be allot of activity on the subject . Anyone ?

That would not be a "finish" which is pretty much appearance only. There is no such thing as Rc over 80 and surface hardened materials are measured on the Rockwell "A" scale which stops at 90.
Now , what was your question?

It does exist ! 112 Rockwell

Yes it does exist but you failed to mention which scale it was derived from. Most every one in the manufacturing business limits themselves to the Rockwell C scale (0-80) as it covers most metal heat treating ranges.
Heavey beat me to it.

Seems interesting. Relevancy depends on cost among other things. Would have to be done post-chambering and any other work on the bore.

Cannot be machined after application .

Which puts the process in a very inconvenient place in the series of operations of applying a barrel blank to a receiver.

Last edited:
Then there are the little details like doing it at 20,000psi. As for barrels this will not do any better than chrome and it cost is massively more.
What would be the point of boriding a gun barrel IF you could find someone to do it?

Abrasive blasting[sandblasting ]nozzles use the most resistant,hardest materials available,but are very fragile.Any distortion at all causes flaking or complete failure.So I would think as internal pressure caused the barrel to expand the coating would fracture,craze or flake off.Speculation about things I have no knowlege of is meaningless.Regards John.

The process will increase a barrels life more then hard chrome, but not 9 times more life. More like 3 times and the process has been around for over 50 years, only thing new are the names they coin for this process. It is done at a relatively low temperature of around 1,000 F.

Back