What's new
What's new

3D primer recommendations?

shiftline

Plastic
I have spent days reading reviews and comparing 3D printers and have it down to 4. Has anyone used these that could provide some input?

I'm debating between the creator pro, taz 5, ultimately 2 or makerbot m2..

I like the idea of dual filaments for supports or combined different materials but how often does one actually use a dual extruder? From my understanding the different tempo tires of print heads and different filaments can be an issue.

Any advice on which one to go for?

Are you talking about the MakerGear M2? Or the Makerbot Replicator series?

I've had an M2 since 2012 when they first released them. For what they are, I couldn't be happier. They've been a really good company to deal with even nearing 4 years post-sale, and the user community is strong as well.

As far as dual extrusion - I don't believe anyone really has it working well yet. MakerGear has been working on it for the M2 for a little while now but as far as I know it's still at the beta testing level..going by forum activity I'm not sure if it's still something they're actively working on. Dissolvable support would be nice though!

dual extrusion requires either very meticulous setup of the nozzles or a solenoid activated system similar to the stratasys system. I have set up dual extrusion on a rep-rap type machine with good results but it can be quite finicky if you are using vastly different materials. Another option is the E3D cyclops that uses a single nozzle to extrude multiple materials.

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about dual extruder for now as its probably more effort than it's worth.

I can't believe how hard it is to decide on a printer!

That's was the Maker gear M2, ultimaker. Lulzbot taz 5 and flash forge creator pro. Sorry spell check changes some of the wording in me.

If you were to purchase a new printer tomorrow..which would you recommend?

It depends entirely on how you plan to use it. If you are buying a first home printer to make fun things and learn about them then get an inexpensive model. I prefer anything with a heated print bed myself. My old Prusa still does just fine.
If you are shopping for accuracy, read the tech specs and see if any of them have a better resolution than the others. I am not familiar with every model you mention. I find that range of printer to give pretty similar results from examples I've seen. As already mentioned, especially if you are new to this, good support can be worth a lot.

If I got another off the shelf FDM printer, I would get another M2. The Ultimaker would get a hard look probably, but my experience with Makergear has been good enough I wouldn't risk changing teams. It's also all metal with only a couple insignificant exceptions like the electronics enclosure and oddly enough the filament drive mount (I'm making metal versions as soon as I get my mill up and running but they've functioned well for years now). Of all of them I feel it's the closest one to being a "real" machine. Plus you can buy a lot of filament for the $500-1000+ that you save with the M2 over the Ultimaker. :)

The Flash Forge and Taz I have not looked in to at all, and I will admit not totally rational biases are held against them: the Flash Forge just looks like a forged Replicator, and Taz...well, I will be honest..I don't see myself putting something from a company called "Lulzbot" in my shop.

the taz machines are supposedly capable of printing material like NinjaFlex and Nylon out of the box if i'm not mistaken. The others may not be. The taz machines can usually be upgraded to multiple extruders also. I have not used the Taz machines but I have seen them and got a good overview of them. I personally would probably build a good machine of my own design just because I like doing that type of thing however.

I have a friend who uses a Taz. She is a Cosplayer, and is constantly posting pictures of her works in progress. I'm no 3D printer guru, heck, I barely even dabble at work/home, but I have to say, the quality of her prints, right off the printer looks astounding to me.

You can look her up, if you google Bindi Smalls, you'll find her website and pictures of her prints.

You might want to add the Zortrax M200 to your short list. As shipped, it is limited to 4 types of filaments (ABS, HIPS, ABS/PC and some sort of clear material) but the Z-temp add-on lets you use other filaments.

Back