What's new
What's new

Looking for dimensions on AR-10, DPMS .308, POF 308, SCAR mk17s or similar bolts

Miroslav

Plastic
Hello,

I'm looking for the dimensions of the bolt heads of the type mentioned in the title. I'm trying to figure out the dimensions of the 7/8 lug design bolt head and I'd like to be able to compare with a finished design. I've only got 2 lug rifles here at home. I have found plenty of ar-15 bolt drawings and CAD files online, but I suppose it's not just a linear scaling to get accurate dimensions on the lugs and such.

Help and tips appreciated!

cheers

I could maybe help as I am just finishing a DPMS AR10. Been a fun project so far but I have yet to shoot it to see if any bugs exist before I apply a finish to it. Maybe if you made a sketch and indicate the dimensions needed I could help you out.
I put a 26" heavy stainless on mine as I have never had a true long range rifle before. Sights are a VORTEX 6x24 with LR reticle. Lets see what I can do at 600 yards and beyond!

The very best of Christmas to you and yours and may a Happy and Fruitful New Year follow.

I hope this image clarifies what I'm looking for! By D I mean the "depth" of the lug, a dimension along the axis of the bore or firing pin.

Thank you for your kind christmas wishes! I wish that you and your dearests have a joyful christmas!bolt face dimensions.jpg

OK, these numbers are from an ASA308 bolt:

A (width of lug): .179" at base, .159" at top (note that lugs are trapezoidal, not rectangular)

B (height of lug): .125" by measurement, .115" by computation ([.890 - .660] / 2) or .113" ([.890 - .664] / 2)

C (dia of bolt head): .6605" immediately behind lugs, .664" between lugs

D (dia over opposing lugs); .890" (2 pairs) or .891" (over other pair)

Thank you so much! Making up bolt designs is a very soothing and enjoyable Christmas activity , for when the discussions with the lovely in-laws are on hold.

OK, these numbers are from an ASA308 bolt:

A (width of lug): .179" at base, .159" at top (note that lugs are trapezoidal, not rectangular)

B (height of lug): .125" by measurement, .115" by computation ([.890 - .660] / 2) or .113" ([.890 - .664] / 2)

C (dia of bolt head): .6605" immediately behind lugs, .664" between lugs

D (dia over opposing lugs); .890" (2 pairs) or .891" (over other pair)

Back