What's new
What's new

Form tool grinding

vettedude

Stainless
I am no longer doing specials but as shown is a simple tool for a TC or CNC grinder. Looks like you have run the tool so likely happy with it.
I would recommend that the drive is not very secure and perhaps a larger diameter and/or perhaps a hex on the drive end. Making it two flute aides manufacturing but making a three it flute would self center much better. For manufacturing the three flute come in with a boring form cutter (lathe) and turn inside. Simple hand ground tool bit is OK for this or cut angle with lathe compound feed at angle. Mill the three flutes and chip exit gullet (perhaps with a larger diameter cutter. Harden and sharpen. You might consider adjusting your top rake angle for different materials.

Seems we had a three flute much like that (with having a stub taper shank) but I cant offhand remember who made them or perhaps they were a special we designed.

Fancy (for the three flute) would be changing the axial top flute attitude (angle) to be cutting at the same place on the select size part but shearing at slightly different angle. Two of the flutes pulling the chip inward, and one flute square to the angle.. Yes there would be a very slight crown nobody would notice and would be within most print specs. and yes this for a one size tube only.

A number of companies make special spade drill inserts that are reasonable cost.

Think the Uniburr a very nice tool and good invention... I like the three sides shank..

but wonder about re sharpening.
Throwing away a number each day could be costly. A a re-sharpenable tool might cost a little more(or less) and get 20 time use with skimming .020 at each resharpening..

Might send your sketch to this outfit. Tell them Buck said 3 flute might be better.
See if they remember me as it has been a time or two since I last had them make special tools for me.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmch7ss/special-drill-reamer-corp

we have to hold tight tolerance on the angle.

If that's what the tool is for....YES ! you need tight control on the angle.

If the insert tool would work, the angle would only need "fussed over" once, when making it.

If you get HSS cutters made, say qty (10) at a time, one or 2 might be slightly off on that
cone angle.

A constant re-accuring Q.C. headache.

Back