What's new
What's new

Cutting Nautilus Spiral Using P200L Conversational

Mickey_D

Stainless
I have some parts that I need to run on my L200EM lathe with the P200L control and conversational. The part is an aluminum adjuster ring with a 2" OD, some holes drilled and tapped around the perimeter, and a slight "nautilus" 360 degree feature in the middle. The easiest way to describe it is at 0 degrees we have a wall thickness of .25", at 180 degrees .24", and at 359 degrees a thickness of .23". Planning on cutting it with a 1/4" EM with a driven tool.

I have some parts that I need to run on my L200EM lathe with the P200L control and conversational. The part is an aluminum adjuster ring with a 2" OD, some holes drilled and tapped around the perimeter, and a slight "nautilus" 360 degree feature in the middle. The easiest way to describe it is at 0 degrees we have a wall thickness of .25", at 180 degrees .24", and at 359 degrees a thickness of .23". Planning on cutting it with a 1/4" EM with a driven tool.

Did I miss something? What's the question? ;)

The phone rang and jacked up my train of thought. How do I program the expanding circle using the C axis and the 1/4 end mill?

The phone rang and jacked up my train of thought. How do I program the expanding circle using the C axis and the 1/4 end mill?

Position your endmill at whatever X would be correct and also at C0 then just G1 X(new location) C359.

Just make sure to M code your chuck to rotate the correct direction.

I think that will get you close.

<edit> That G1 may need to be a G101 since it's a live tool </edit>

Last edited:
Did I miss something? What's the question? ;)

is this what you looking for ?
988px-FakeRealLogSpiral.svg.png

the equations are here...

Golden spiral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dee
;-D

... and a slight "nautilus" 360 degree feature in the middle. The easiest way to describe it is at 0 degrees we have a wall thickness of .25", at 180 degrees .24", and at 359 degrees a thickness of .23"

hy, draw your toolpath inside a dwg, upload the file, or create a technical drawing

specify desired tolerance, or i will just aproximate and render some variants ; anything else ? kindly !

The part is an aluminum adjuster ring with a 2" OD, some holes drilled and tapped around the perimeter, and a slight "nautilus" 360 degree feature in the middle.

hello again :) are you sure that " nautilus " is what you need ? my point is that you can deliver same functionality with simpler geometries, not nautilus ; for example a row of arches ( far easier to program ), or a bezier/sPline .... each one can be programed, but why use math functiones beyond normal cnc usage ? 3d splines / spatial curves is more than enough in most cases ; nautilus trigers "artistic class" into 2d gemoetrie, and so it should not be used on any type of parts .... can you show where/how your part works ?

maybe i am wrong, but don't go too far with the programing if is not required :)

Back