What's new
What's new

Gunsmith tool kit comparison.

James H Clark

Stainless
Does anyone have a preference for one or the other when comparing Weaver brand toolkits to Wheeler? I have a lot of machinist and auto/truck tools, but thinking about buying some tools for my own use at the house for my own guns. Tired of bringing up tools for the occasion when doing a little gunwork on my guns at home in the evening. Would appreciate any opinions on the subject.

JH

Both are pretty mediocre quality. Perhaps acceptable for light use, but neither are going to inspire confidence. I'd recommend buying a good punch set, a good set of hollow-ground screwdrivers (most economically purchased as a set of tips and a handle), a small and medium ball-peen hammer and a block of wood. After that, acquire your tools on an as-needed basis.

GsT

I've always bought relatively cheap Grace screwdrivers and ground them to fit. Also, most punch sets contain several that are too big to be much use. You will use somewhat larger ones to drift pins out of shotgun trigger assemblies and such. The shop where I worked bought a couple of screwdriver sets from Brownells that featured two handles and a bunch of bits. None of the guys liked those , including me. You can't grind 'em to fit and you will wind-up with bunch of essentially useless bits. My big objection was that they just don't have the right "feel". They seem sorta cludgy. The old wood handled Grace sets are terrific. Buy 2-3 sets and have the right screwdriver for every screw in every gun you own. Make yourself a bench-block and label each one.

You will need a couple of staking punches. For those just buy a box of cheap-assed "Made in India" punches and grind them to a sharp point. You will especially need those for Remington shotguns.

Just a general piece of advice. Most "gunsmith" sets of tools are pretty much worthless. Learn now to make most of your own tools as you go along.

Best of luck to ya!

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Thanks to all. I appreciate the opinions. Looks like I will probably wind up assembling a tool kit with some Wiha and Wera and NWS and some Starrett pin punches (if USA made).

JH

Back