What's new
What's new

pitted rifle bolt

lds

Plastic
Hi,
I am new,just joined actually and require some help.
I have a bolt from a Sako in .222 that went missing when we relocated in about 85.We found it a long time later but had come apart from the oiled rage so it rusted .I soaked it in Molasses for awhile then slowly rubbed and polished to remove the rust.This also included soaking in ATF and Acetone.Have removed the rust but there are two problems.
Firstly there is some pitting along the bolt and secondly there is some black discolouration.I am more concerned re the pitting.The black may come off with polishing.
Have any of you got any advice re the pitting.It is not deep just ugly
Do hope for some help and very much appreciated
Regards
Ray

There is not a practical repair for the pitting. Theoretically, a skilled gunsmith/welder could fill the pits by TIG welding. Then the surfaces could be draw-filed level and then polished. The cost would be more than the cost of a new bolt and could be more than a new rifle because of the time required. Polish the bolt and ignore the pitting. It has no effect on the usability of the bolt.

RWO

Pitting and blackening of the bolt body may present nothing more than cosmetic issues. The real problemissue is the condition of the locking lugs and bolt head. Rust, pitting and aggressive polishing can result in loss of material, creating excess headspace and other undesirable or dangerous conditions.

It's amazing what you can accomplish with $5 worth of Craytex, a plastic pen barrel and a drill press.

Back