What's new
What's new

For Sale: South Bend 10k CL-370 ZD

PmGRacer

Aluminum
Asking: $3200 negotiable
PM Me for details. I am located in Oakland Township Michigan.
db11ec7c91367d234f32133c67057b62.jpg

ef3d966f96ecd2543603d31dd111fb50.jpg

4508c4fe33127560c55d76a8e8eb85ad.jpg

8470cbe0846b6912d4cca6359d05a778.jpg

56909a4c1454b77d42b099953b89b4db.jpg

2438341a75155887a6dcc8794d682f08.jpg

I have more pics available.
Since I have purchased a South Bend Heavy 10 I am selling my South Bend 10 k 3 1/2 foot bed lathe is very good condition. The Flame Hardened ways have very little wear and have been lubed with Mobil Vactra #2 Way Oil constantly. The spindle is a 1 1/2"- 8 thread with a 0.860" diameter thru bore. I replaced the spindle felt wicks last summer, the spindle and bearings are in very good condition. I also replaced the Spindle Roller Thrust Bearing. I use Mobil Spindle Oil.* The spindle thrust is within factory specs 0.001". The paint is original and has chips etc from years of use but is is good condition.
I replaced the Spindle Take Up washer with a roller thrust bearing.

The Leeson 1/2 hp motor is 3 phase 220v but the lathe has been wired with a ABB ACS 150 variable frequency drive which uses 220v single phase input from a 20amp circuit. The lathe is currently powered up and is fully operational. I wired it with a three prong wall plug so it is easy and convenient to use. The cross feed lead screw and nut have been replaced and there is 0.005" lash.I use Mobil Circulating Oil on the rest of the oil gits.

The carriage lead screw is in very good condition. I successfully cut accurate Imperial threads with this lathe. The vfd has a potentiometer so you can slow the motor down which is handy when cutting threads. All of the feeds work in the quick change gear box. I made a custom brass knurled carriage feed engaging knob which makes using the carriage feed easy and I only use the half nut to cut threads. The lathe has the factory thread dial.

I made a solid tool post mount block from A2 tool steel that uses the original South Bend style compound taper pin. Removal and installation is the same as removing and installing the compound, I made no modification to the lathe to use the solid block. The benefit of using the block is it increases the rigidity of the tool post mounting. Parting and turning have been improved over using the compound. Another benefit is I made a mount to use a dial indicator to measure cross feed travel. With the Bed mounted dial indicator there is now accurate measurement in both directions. (The indicators pictured are not included in the sale of the lathe) The block has a stop so once the block is indicated square to the chuck it will stay put. Also once indicated square the tool post can be easily squared to the block. There are three holes drilled and tapped in the block for mounting the tool post. The spacing allows for the tool post to be moved rearward to allow crossfeed travel when turning a 10" diameter.

Included with the lathe are the following items:
Jacobs Series 50 Rubberflex Collet Chuck with 1 1/2”-8 threaded adapter and full set of collets
• 6 1/4" 3 jaw chuck with 2 piece reversible jaws
• Two 8" independent reversible 4 jaw chucks
• Dorian SD25-AXA Tool Post
• Dorian D25-AXA-1 Tool Holder
• Dorian D25-AXA-7-71C Parting Tool Holder
• Dorian D25-AXA-5 #2 Morse Taper Tool Holder
• Micro American 1/16"-3/8" Keyed Chuck with #2 MT Shank
• Jacobs 6A 0-1/2" Keyed Chuck with #2 MT Shank
• Leohuort 1/8"-3/8" Keyless Chuck with #2 MT Shank
• Unnamed 1/16"-3/8" Keyless Chuck with #2 MT Shank
• Royal Products Value Turn Live Center with #2 MT Shank
• Drive Dog Face Plate with 2 Drive Dogs