What's new
What's new

Heating bearings

bellaireroad

Aluminum
Is it safe to heat a bearing like this to 200°? Will there be any affect on the seals? Thanks
8a1dff9ce7f29204d2c5e605c40fc2c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fahrenheit, you're likely OK. Celsius, I'd say no.

Why not look it up at the nearing manufacturer'e website?

Not sure where to go with that. I ordered them from Accurate
08b556b0c574a4186806df4507f85ff9.jpg
bearings, this is the box, do you recognize the manufacturer. No other info

To be sure, ask Accurate what the grease and seal types are.

General purpose grease is typically rated for operation to 120C=250F.
See: http://www.skf.com/binary/68-99598/13238EN_GreaseSelectionChart.pdf

General purpose seals are typically made of NBR. This is rated for extended operation to 100C=210F and for short periods to 120C=250F.
See: Temperature limits. (The other materials that are typically used such as FKM generally have higher temperature ratings.)

The bottom line: if these are standard bearings and you are heating them for 20 minutes to install them, it's OK to put them into an oven at 100C=210F. That will expand them by about 0.0006" per inch of diameter, which should be plenty for slipping them over a motor shaft or similar.

I used to fit lots of small bearings. In the workshop I worked in we had a wall mounted gas fire/space heater with a metal grill. I'd just put the bearing on top of the grill for about a quarter of an hour. The bearings got just hot enough to be slid on quickly.

For the bigger bearings it was a drum of whale oil in the old days, coming up to date it was one of those big SKF induction style bearing heaters. They are very good. We didn't install many sealed bearings but if you set the heater to the bearing symbol on the control panel the sealed bearings we did fit seemed OK. The temperature of 110 degrees Centigrade seems to ring a bell regarding the recommended setting.

Regards Tyrone.

I just wrote the bearing Mfg asking this: I use a infra red hand held heat gun to test temp. Before that I used a wax temp melting pencil I never went over 180 degree's but my bearings were open and I used Iso Flex grease. Let the MFG tell us. Rich

Hello,

Can you tell me what temperature do you recommend that this bearing is heated on a bearing heated to slide onto a shaft? Do you supply a data sheet on the bearing grease? What is the maximum operating temp of the bearing? I have also attached a link to the form we all write and read in. A member asked the question.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...aping-and-inspection/heating-bearings-353131/

Thanks for your help

Richard King

To be sure, ask Accurate what the grease and seal types are.

General purpose grease is typically rated for operation to 120C=250F.
See: http://www.skf.com/binary/68-99598/13238EN_GreaseSelectionChart.pdf

General purpose seals are typically made of NBR. This is rated for extended operation to 100C=210F and for short periods to 120C=250F.
See: Temperature limits. (The other materials that are typically used such as FKM generally have higher temperature ratings.)

The bottom line: if these are standard bearings and you are heating them for 20 minutes to install them, it's OK to put them into an oven at 100C=210F. That will expand them by about 0.0006" per inch of diameter, which should be plenty for slipping them over a motor shaft or similar.

Thanks, good to know

I just wrote the bearing Mfg asking this: I use a infra red hand held heat gun to test temp. Before that I used a wax temp melting pencil I never went over 180 degree's but my bearings were open and I used Iso Flex grease. Let the MFG tell us. Rich

Hello,

Can you tell me what temperature do you recommend that this bearing is heated on a bearing heated to slide onto a shaft? Do you supply a data sheet on the bearing grease? What is the maximum operating temp of the bearing? I have also attached a link to the form we all write and read in. A member asked the question.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...aping-and-inspection/heating-bearings-353131/

Thanks for your help

Richard King

Thanks, they’ll probably come back and say heating may compromise performance, and for sure voids any warranty [emoji4]

Put your shaft in the freezer if you can.

Contrary minded, here.

That may be from 80F down to 0F, an 80 degree swing.

Heating from 80F to 180 F - a 100F delta - doesn't seem much more and both together should be a good thing.

However.. that shaft, bagged, comes outta the freezer, then outta the bag, you've got rime-ice or water on it right away, most environments humans can actually work in.

D'ruther not have that distraction unless I could at least use dry ice or better and get a far wider advantage.

2CW

Back