What's new
What's new

D1-5 Camlock Studs

gunner312

Plastic
I have a problem I need some help with.

I need Manufacturing dimensions for D1-5 camlock studs.

I have a faceplate for my lathe that is missing the camlock studs.

Yes, I know that I can buy new ones commercially, but being a retired Machinist (30+ years),and a retired SSG somehow the paycheck won't allow me to pay 27.00 or thereabouts for each of the 6 I need. Also, the ones I can find are metric and mine need to be 1/2-20 thread.

SO!!

Does anyone have the dimensions for the D1-5 Camlock Stud? (believe me. I can make them). I know the Diameter, the length and the thread, I need to know the camming surface details. Once I have that I can finish them and do the heat treat.

Help is appreciated, good help is golden.

Jim Wright
gunner312

I have a problem I need some help with.

I need Manufacturing dimensions for D1-5 camlock studs.

I have a faceplate for my lathe that is missing the camlock studs.

Yes, I know that I can buy new ones commercially, but being a retired Machinist (30+ years),and a retired SSG somehow the paycheck won't allow me to pay 27.00 or thereabouts for each of the 6 I need. Also, the ones I can find are metric and mine need to be 1/2-20 thread.

SO!!

Does anyone have the dimensions for the D1-5 Camlock Stud? (believe me. I can make them). I know the Diameter, the length and the thread, I need to know the camming surface details. Once I have that I can finish them and do the heat treat.

Help is appreciated, good help is golden.

Jim Wright
gunner312

D1 cam shape I have zero info on. All I know is it is NOT a simple section of a circle.

I get mine from Mac It. The spend isn't one I need to pony-up often.

As I am 25 years retired, my TIME is also running out. I try not to waste it screwing about with things I can just buy from a legendary-good maker.

YMMV

The cut is circular..... it just comes into the stud from a forty degree angle.

attachment.php

View attachment 237286

The cut is circular..... it just comes into the stud from a forty degree angle.

237286d1536139856-d1-5-camlock-studs-camlock-stud.jpg

View attachment 237286

I'm good with the circular tool. The forty degree angle then is why the cutouts have the "effective" shape they do and look as odd as they do.

And I'll STILL buy from Mack It, thanks. Experience. Alloy selection. Heat-treat. QC.. etc.

Not about whether I could mill these. I keep spares stocked, actually. Metric as well as US. The camlocks they mate with for the spindle as well. Cheap enough for D1-3 as there are only three per-each, not six.

Simply far too many OTHER things I must make because I CANNOT "just buy" them.

So I'd run out of time, and those OTHER things would never get done at all.

"Priorities". Even a retiree has those. Money is the easy one, most of the time.

One may not always HAVE it, but at least the need can be measured and planned-for more accurately than open-ended "f**k-around-with-time".

Besides.. I don't want my Widow exposed to potential liability for a D1 fail once my "grave goods" find new minders...

:)

Back