What's new
What's new

OT- Is this a great country or what.

In California they had "Votar aqui" signs at the polling places. I never understood how someone could be a citizen of this country and not supposed to at least know what "Vote here" means. Not such signs exist here in Virginia, my sticker said "My vote counted."

In California they had "Votar aqui" signs at the polling places. I never understood how someone could be a citizen of this country and not supposed to at least know what "Vote here" means. Not such signs exist here in Virginia, my sticker said "My vote counted."

Who says they cannot read it?

Perhaps it is an outreach to citizens who speak Spanish as their primary language, an indication that they are welcome there.

And, uhh, by the way, Spanish was spoken long before English in California

Who says they cannot read it?

Perhaps it is an outreach to citizens who speak Spanish as their primary language, an indication that they are welcome there.

And, uhh, by the way, Spanish was spoken long before English in California

If your primary language is Spanish and you live in California you are most likely here illegally.

I spent a year at DLI-FLC in Monterey, CA back in the 1970's, and had a chance to go to a couple of rodeos/fairs in non-coastal California. Spanish is a heavily used language at these affairs, and the majority of these guys are 2nd- or 3rd- generation American citizens. Some of them were from ranching families that settled there before California even became a state.

Closer to home, Hillsboro, OR, is a hub for Hispanic folks west of Portland, OR. Lots of shop signage is bilingual English/Spanish, or even just Spanish. While I am sure there are some illegals in town, the vast majority of the local Spanish speakers are either US citizens, legal residents or in country on legitimate work visas. The local farmers rely heavily on migrant workers for harvest and other seasonal jobs.

So it's way too glib to say
If your primary language is Spanish and you live in California you are most likely here illegally.

we voted by mail a week ago.
no sticker, though.
all our elections are 100% vote by mail.
almost zero fraud. (last time somebody complained, they found about 10 dubious voters out of 2 million, and most were senile old people who didnt remember they had already voted in another state, or who voted their dead wife's ballot without really remembering they were dead)
its easy, it works, and there is no line, no ID check, no traffic or parking hassles.
if you move, you can file a change of address online.

I spent a year at DLI-FLC in Monterey, CA back in the 1970's, and had a chance to go to a couple of rodeos/fairs in non-coastal California. Spanish is a heavily used language at these affairs, and the majority of these guys are 2nd- or 3rd- generation American citizens. Some of them were from ranching families that settled there before California even became a state.

Closer to home, Hillsboro, OR, is a hub for Hispanic folks west of Portland, OR. Lots of shop signage is bilingual English/Spanish, or even just Spanish. While I am sure there are some illegals in town, the vast majority of the local Spanish speakers are either US citizens, legal residents or in country on legitimate work visas. The local farmers rely heavily on migrant workers for harvest and other seasonal jobs.

So it's way too glib to say

The demographics of California has changed drastically since the 70's, give me a break, also Northern California is a different world than Southern California where most Californians live.

we voted by mail a week ago.
no sticker, though.
all our elections are 100% vote by mail.
almost zero fraud. (last time somebody complained, they found about 10 dubious voters out of 2 million, and most were senile old people who didnt remember they had already voted in another state, or who voted their dead wife's ballot without really remembering they were dead)
its easy, it works, and there is no line, no ID check, no traffic or parking hassles.
if you move, you can file a change of address online.

“I Voted sticker” included in vote by mail package here in California

The demographics of California has changed drastically since the 70's, give me a break, also Northern California is a different world than Southern California where most Californians live.

Agree that Northern California is pretty different. But we're not way off in population -- about 40% here in N. Ca. and 60% in S. Ca.

California is our nation's largest (by population) state and still (slowly) growing. There are more US citizens here than about the 20 smallest states combined. We get 2 Senate seats, not 40, though.

You live in Virginia.
Still waiting for cites.

In any case the constitution says citizens have the right to vote.
Your little dig is an attempt to take away a fundamental constitutional right because someone talks funny.

Oh really... Better tell my tile guy, my lawn guy, my house cleaners, the painter, at least half of construction labor around here, and let them know what you know seemingly better than they do.

Funny how most of the place and road names around here must be illegal, too. Los Angeles, Madera, Sacramento, San Carlos, Santa Rita, Alameda de las Pulgas, El Camino Real... send them back to, uh, where?? 18th century Spain?

They most assuredly DID have Virginia's polling places marked in Spanish as well as English!

Spanish is legit. Even more so than Canada supports French, actually.

They were, after all, here before "WE" were. Florida as well as most of the Left Coast, up to the territory Russia controlled, and inland to Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada.

NB: Ben Franklin's time, EAST coast, various dialects of Nederlands and Germanic languages were nearly as numerous as native English speakers.

Old Ben proposed the new nation adopt HEBREW as its official language to sever ties with Old Europe and give all comers the same handicap! At the time there was no other nation claiming it!

BTW: I say "Germanic" because Germany as a nation didn't come into existence for just about 100 years after Lexington, Concord, and Breed's Hill battles, here.

Spanish and English are not hard for each other's native speakers to learn to speak, and even easier to learn to read.

Be grateful it wasn't Basque, Phoenician, Egyptian, Chinese, or Elt Norsk!

Those were all here long before Columbus, too! VERY long.

Cristobal the used-car salesman even had the old Celtic maps. He was just too lousy a navigator to get to the NORTH.. or Virginia might be speaking Spanish instead of some Caribbean islands and LATAM!

:)

Sorry kids- I wasn’t making a statement about the dual languages on the sticker.

I meant exactly what I said:
This is a great country- the right to vote here makes it feel like my birthday.
I am very happy to have heard of the strong turnout, I was thrilled to stand with others in my community and simply vote.
I often say to friends how good we have it here in America.
I mean it.

Back