What's new
What's new

McMaster comes through again.

metal-ica

Cast Iron
After my daughter graduated college she worked with me at the shop for a while. It wasn't her calling and she moved on to a great job at a great company. It was a months-long hiring process with many interviews. After being there a year her boss divulged why he hired her...she was able to hold a conversation about McMaster-Carr during an interview.

I always knew they were a great company but damn! Does anyone else have good McMaster story?

He probably asked if she believed in the lord and savior, and she said you mean the man with the big book?....McMaster!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

When I ordered from McMaster - Carr the first time I was given a net 30 account. No jumping through hoops, no bullshit. You can bet that the McMaster - Carr bill is the first one to get paid.

One of the few companies that it was a pleasure to do business with. Their customer service was second to none.

I like that when you walk into a McMaster Will Call they have the Great Tome on a pedestal with lamps illuminating it, so you can order right there.

Their website should be the topic of doctoral theses.

The only gripe I have about McMaster is they don't sell everything I need. I have never seen nor heard a McMaster advertisement, do they ever advertise?

The only gripe I have about McMaster is they don't sell everything I need. I have never seen nor heard a McMaster advertisement, do they ever advertise?

Really? Looks like they're doing it right here, right now, without spending any money!

Why would they need to spread advertisements to the general public, when there are places like this that recommend them in every second thread? In a targeted market environment, no less. Seriously, every machine shop, university, and backyard foundry has someone there who knows and loves McMaster-Carr. Their reputation has truly reached critical mass within the industry, and can actually rely on word of mouth for introducing newbies to their service.

The old adage is that advertising will get someone to try it once, the product/service itself is what sells the second one. Their website and service are second to none, and that's why they don't advertise.

My quick McM story..

About a year ago I got a bandsaw blade that was welded really bad.

I even made a half assed picture to show them.. They didn't care,
they sent me out another blade right away.. And then credited
me the cost of the original blade and told me to keep it.

I took a die grinder to the original blade and it was still
*Bumpy*, but it lasted a little while...

Quick phone call too.. 2 minutes total...

There have been a few others, 3 problems total over 15 years that they
took care of instantly with near zero effort on my part.

What they do, they do very well..

41858443601_1b1ed3fae0_c.jpg

Story? Well this one is so old that it might predate their Web site, or at least my use of it. In fact it dates back to antiquity, when you used to be able to buy socket head cap screws from them BY THE PIECE!

I needed ten low head SHCS, so that's what I ordered. They sent, and billed for, a box of one hundred. I figured,"Crap, I'll never use these" so I called and complained. The conversation went something like this:

"Those are sold by the box."
"No, my catalog says I can order by the piece."
"What number is your catalog?"
"Number xxx"
"We have a new catalog."

At that point I figured I was stuck but I said, "I haven't received a new catalog." Truth be told at that point I had never received a McMaster catalog and was ordering out of an old copy that had come from a previous employer, but she immediately said, "if you haven't received a new catalog I will send you one and credit your account for the ninety screws."

So I said, "OK, but how do I send them back?" And she floored me by saying, "Scrap them in the field."
"What?"
"Keep them."

Now admittedly this wasn't a whole lot of money, but I figured that if they were that serious about keeping a customer happy, this is the company to do business with. In the thirty years since I've never been disappointed with them.

Dennis

Really? Looks like they're doing it right here, right now, without spending any money!

Why would they need to spread advertisements to the general public, when there are places like this that recommend them in every second thread? In a targeted market environment, no less. Seriously, every machine shop, university, and backyard foundry has someone there who knows and loves McMaster-Carr. Their reputation has truly reached critical mass within the industry, and can actually rely on word of mouth for introducing newbies to their service.

The old adage is that advertising will get someone to try it once, the product/service itself is what sells the second one. Their website and service are second to none, and that's why they don't advertise.

I understand they easily survive on word of mouth, I just wonder when they stopped advertising. They had to at one time or another. It is estimated Grainger which most people in here hate including myself is 5-10 times the size of McMaster. Grainger carpet bombs radio sports broadcasts in my area to the point of insanity. I wonder what would happen to Grainger if they didn't advertise.

You gotta love that. McMaster is awesome and anyone who has dealt with them....Respects them.
Also... McMaster is perfect example of a well run private family owned US company. Going public ruins many companies.

Caterpillar, my employer has their corporate accounts, vending machines in every facility, stock rooms and such from Grainger. And we have a special local sales account guy when you call the local distributor, and special pricing....... HIGHER THAN THEIR OWN RETAIL!!!!

I hate Grainger.

You gotta love that. McMaster is awesome and anyone who has dealt with them....Respects them.
Also... McMaster is perfect example of a well run private family owned US company. Going public ruins many companies.

You would be surprised to know how well known Mcmaster-carr is even around here and they refuse to sell anything to outside of North America!

If you put your purchases there on a CREDIT CARD, you can get a 1.5% discount on every purchase. EVERY SINGLE ONE. And you still have the convenience of a single, monthly bill. And additional protection against fraud, which is great when purchasing on the web from companies that are not in the same league as McMaster. WIN, WIN, WIN!

I learned this while working and purchasing for penny pinching employers. I use credit cards for as many purchases as I can, both for business and personal purchases and I get at least $500 back every year. Real money. A full time business could get much more.

When I ordered from McMaster - Carr the first time I was given a net 30 account. No jumping through hoops, no bullshit. You can bet that the McMaster - Carr bill is the first one to get paid.

Hummm, considering how difficult it can be to get on their catalog mailing list, this may be one way around that. Find something on their web site that is now sold in some minimum quantity. Find same thing in old catalog where single number sales are OK. And ORDER ONE.

The difficulty of getting on their catalog list is about the only complaint I have with them.

Story? Well this one is so old that it might predate their Web site, or at least my use of it. In fact it dates back to antiquity, when you used to be able to buy socket head cap screws from them BY THE PIECE!

I needed ten low head SHCS, so that's what I ordered. They sent, and billed for, a box of one hundred. I figured,"Crap, I'll never use these" so I called and complained. The conversation went something like this:

"Those are sold by the box."
"No, my catalog says I can order by the piece."
"What number is your catalog?"
"Number xxx"
"We have a new catalog."

At that point I figured I was stuck but I said, "I haven't received a new catalog." Truth be told at that point I had never received a McMaster catalog and was ordering out of an old copy that had come from a previous employer, but she immediately said, "if you haven't received a new catalog I will send you one and credit your account for the ninety screws."

So I said, "OK, but how do I send them back?" And she floored me by saying, "Scrap them in the field."
"What?"
"Keep them."

Now admittedly this wasn't a whole lot of money, but I figured that if they were that serious about keeping a customer happy, this is the company to do business with. In the thirty years since I've never been disappointed with them.

Dennis

Back