What's new
What's new

OT Selling A Building

SIP6A

Titanium
Has anyone here ever had to deal with selling a building and then removing it from the property?

What I'm dealing with here is settling an estate. The building in question is a 1990 Morton, 42' X 60' with 12' clear span pole barn. It has no floor or electrical service. The reason it has to be removed from the property is because where I live you can't sell what's called an accessory building on a piece of vacant land. It's a nice building and would be a shame to tear it down.

I'm thinking of selling it for someone to disassemble and reassemble somewhere else.

Any thought on what it worth?

Thanks!
Todd

Has anyone here ever had to deal with selling a building and then removing it from the property?

What I'm dealing with here is settling an estate. The building in question is a 1990 Morton, 42' X 60' with 12' clear span pole barn. It has no floor or electrical service. The reason it has to be removed from the property is because where I live you can't sell what's called an accessory building on a piece of vacant land. It's a nice building and would be a shame to tear it down.

I'm thinking of selling it for someone to disassemble and reassemble somewhere else.

Any thought on what it worth?

Thanks!
Todd

Why not pour a slab and run electrical to it and sell as non-vacant land? Sounds like a strange law, a property with a building is always more desirable any place I have shopped. If you sell where the buyer removes, it might be wise to require insurance, or at least have a lawster draw up liability waiver.

Why not pour a slab and run electrical to it and sell as non-vacant land?

Where I live here in southeast MI your not allowed to have an "accessory building" on vacant land. An accessory building is any building that's not a residence. If I did the work you suggested it still would be considered an accessory building.

Where I live here in southeast MI your not allowed to have an "accessory building" on vacant land. An accessory building is any building that's not a residence. If I did the work you suggested it still would be considered an accessory building.

Did it just show up one night?

It took some doing but we were able to get a variance from the planning department then sell ours with the property, may be worth some effort?

I wrought up a request and before I submitted it I ran it by the lawyer She said she didn't think it would be approved. So went to plan "B" which is we find a buyer thats wants to buy the land and willing to get a building permit before the land is divided. This will cut down the potential pool of potential buyers considerable. Hence looking into selling the building and having it removed.

Lovely "win-win" .. if you can match up a BUYER

True.

A variance, BTW, can take a year out East. present snail's pace of COVID affected "stuff"

Not too bad here in Michigan, you write up you request and go before the zoning board at there monthly meeting. You get a yes or no answer at the meeting.

You could be "fortunate" if it costs the Estate less that $15,000 to "be done with it".

Why I'm thinking of selling. Even If I only get a couple of thousand dollars for it, it's gone and the property is much easier to sell.

Hopefully, you at least do not have an Hostile Heir in your - toilet-bowl

No, just myself and my sister we have always gotten along well.

How about you spray-paint it bright Copper metallic, light clear-coat, put up signs:

"Copper Thieves will be Proctologized to the Fullest Insert of the LAW"..

.. and see if it is even still there the following weekend?

Now this I like.

You ARE in Michigan?

Yes, Lambertville, michigan 48144

By your definition, any business structure would be an accessory building. It's not legal to sell land with a business on it?

A Morton building has poles that go into the soil 3 to 8 feet down. You'd have to either cut them off (which would make it hard to re-use the building) or pull them out (which would be very difficult without ruining something).

By your definition, any business structure would be an accessory building. It's not legal to sell land with a business on it?

No, a building with a business in it is commercial real estate completely different. This property is zoned Ag2

A Morton building has poles that go into the soil 3 to 8 feet down. You'd have to either cut them off (which would make it hard to re-use the building) or pull them out (which would be very difficult without ruining something).

The way a Morton building is built that wouldn't be a problem. The vertical post are made of three planks laminated together above ground. Below ground there three Wolmanized planks. You would just cut them off at ground level and order new planks from morton and install at the new location. When the building is gone go in with a forklift and pull them out and fill in the hole. (there down 3') Morton building are about the only pole barns that are worth the trouble to move,

i would call the local Morton dealer, perhaps they would have a customer for it. back in the 70s my Father needed a warehouse for just a few years and they leased it with the provision that Agway would take it back at the end of the lease. but anyway, the Morton guy would know who is looking for a bargin and would be equiped to do the work.

Maybe you can buy an old mobile home. Move it there, put it on blocks, remove the axles and presto changeo you now have land with a house on it to sell.

Yeah, send this link to the next guy who talks about freedom or a free country. Its no better here, but not being able to sell land with whatever structures are on it seems beyond bizarre. Makes me think the OP or I are missing some major part of this.

Wow, in Texas and Nevada we just call buildings on Ag land barns, if the new owner does not want it, its up to them to remove it.

Not saying no one will buy it, but it is probably a dumb idea [for them]

You really cannot sell a piece of property with a building on it that was legally built?

That seems odd.

I can see not being able to occupy said building, but not being able to sell it?

Realtors and Lawyers are idjits, be sure they are sure of the realities.

Here in the peoples republic, one could sell a 1 square foot lot of one chose. You cannot occupy it. Build on it. Do anything with it. But you could sell it.

Let us say you owned a billion acres.
Your neighbor owned .499 acres

They rezoned making .50 acres the minumum lot size.

You cannot sell your neighbor .01 acres as a favor? Even though it is not a legal lot?

Hmmmm

I will believe you cannot 'build' an accessory building without a primary building, but it is difficult to believe you cannot 'sell' said property.

What I think, not knowing, is most likely:

As soon as you subdivide, the building is not legally occupiable.

Once you build a house on it, the previous building would be legally occupiable.

But to prevent the transfer?

Seems unlikely

Consider the example of a piece of property with a condemned house on it. Legally condemned, big red x sign on the outside.

What, you cannot sell it?

I think not

First of all I don't understand why you would want to sell property. I never sell anything and have built three homes in two states, and still own them, and have built seven large pole buildings, and still own them. They would be terrible to take down. When you attach the rafters you drive ring shank spikes through the tops of the laminated poles and through the rafters. You use ring shank nails to attach all perlins and framing. Ring shanks do not pull out. By the time you got it apart you would have nothing but splinters, and steel panels full of holes. I built the last one totally by myself 109 ft by 50 ft by 14 ft tall and I would rather build one than try to tear one down any day.
If it is AG it cannot be in town so all you have is county regulations. I can't imagine a county without pole buildings for AG equipment. Sounds like your attorney is full of it. Something doesn't add up. How large of property is this? Most States and counties require at least 40 acres to be zoned AG. One of the homes I own is in a county that requires 180 acres to be ag.

Not saying no one will buy it, but it is probably a dumb idea [for them]

You really cannot sell a piece of property with a building on it that was legally built?

That seems odd.

I can see not being able to occupy said building, but not being able to sell it?

Realtors and Lawyers are idjits, be sure they are sure of the realities.

Here in the peoples republic, one could sell a 1 square foot lot of one chose. You cannot occupy it. Build on it. Do anything with it. But you could sell it.

Let us say you owned a billion acres.
Your neighbor owned .499 acres

They rezoned making .50 acres the minumum lot size.

You cannot sell your neighbor .01 acres as a favor? Even though it is not a legal lot?

Hmmmm

I will believe you cannot 'build' an accessory building without a primary building, but it is difficult to believe you cannot 'sell' said property.

What I think, not knowing, is most likely:

As soon as you subdivide, the building is not legally occupiable.

Once you build a house on it, the previous building would be legally occupiable.

But to prevent the transfer?

Seems unlikely

Consider the example of a piece of property with a condemned house on it. Legally condemned, big red x sign on the outside.

What, you cannot sell it?

I think not

Wish it was closer, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Do you have any local Amish or Mennonite in the area? They would take it down nail by nail in Wisconsin. You may have to drive to their community to speak with them.
One of our neighbors sold a newer pole shed that someone took down, not certain the details. He sold it off when winding down his tractor hobby. I think if your patient you will find a buyer.

Back