What's new
What's new

Old Monarch ??

eeckerle

Plastic
I have a Older Monarch lathe the best I can tell the Ser# is B2702. I think the bed is 30" the swing is 12", It is powered by a 5hp Lima motor that is attached to the gear box and sets on top of the spindle. The people at Monarch Lathes (Scott Foster Sales Manager) said my machine was to ond to ID. Bull!!! Any Ideas? Thanks. If I knew how I'd post some photos.

Monarch Lathes do not have good records of lathes manufactured before the time serial numbers was assigned to them, which was in 1927. Every lathe built after that time each have their own folder which contains the entire history of the lathe as far as Monarch was aware of. Monarch Lathe is a great source of infomation for lathe built after 1927 (with serial numbers), but not very good for machines built before this time. Monarch built a lot of lathes before 1927, but many times more after 1927.

The "Ser# is B2702" is most likely a lot number. I assume you got this off of the tailstock end of the lathe bed (between the Vee and flat ways). If this is not where you got the above number, please take a look in this area and tell us what it says. Pictures are also most helpful for members to help with lathe ID.

A 12" lathe most likely is a Model E lathe. These were built from 1918 to about 1930. Somewhere along the way Monarch also built a 12" Model K, and the helical gear head Model KK.

Hope this helps some with the ID of your lathe.

John

I talked again with Scott Foster (sales manager) at Monarch Larhes. He said the B2702 is the Ser#. When they started making they used lot#s (model A machines) He thinks I have a Model B because of the B in the Ser#, and all of the part#s are preceded with a B. He thought it was made in 1917, He also said they only have limitted paper work on Monarach Lathes with Ser#s starting around 4000 and up, nothing any lower. It has a 42" bed the, Spindle nose has 2 1/2" threads, I don't know how many per in. I haven't had the backing plate off yet. It has a odd size spindle bore 1 5/8".

Does any one have a Model (B) Monarch Lathe?

Thanks Ed

Model B lathes have swings of either 18" or 20", which is confusing if your lathe only has a 12" swing???

Do you have clutch levers on your apron or star knobs to engage the feeds? How many step cones does the headstock have? Where about on the lathe did you find the serial number?

John

It has clutch levers on the apron, the head cone has three steps. The Ser# is B2702.
Thanks for the reply John.
Ed.

Maby I'm screwed up, this machine is 12" from the center of the spindle to the bed. Is this a 12" swing or is it a 24" swing?
Ed.

12" from spindle center to bed would be 24" swing lathe. Having the clutch dates the lathe after 1924, and the serial number dates it after 1927. Monarch made cone head lathes up to 1940 but very fewer after 1930. The first Serial number monarch used was 1000, so I would guess you have a Model B built around 1930. I believe this is about the time the last Model B's were made.

John

I've been looking for a photo but no luck as of yet, I would like to get some idea of what my machine weights, the tail stock alone weights 250lbs, three of us to put it in the back of my truck. I'm guessing 4000lbs.

Ed.

Hi. I'm back, posted a couple of photos of my Monarch Lathe, I've been told its a Model B made sometime between 1926 and 1930. If any one knows differant please let me know, Thanks.
Ed.

[ 03-01-2007, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: eeckerle ]

John; Yes I took the tailstock home with me. I'm stripping it down and repainting it. I haven't got the lathe home get, still lineing up a hi-lo and trailer.
Ed.

If you use the "Image" button to add your url, the picture will show up in the post instead of a link to the picture:

P1010004.jpg

-Dave

Thanks Dave.
I got the lathe home the other day, I had it weighted before loading it, It is 3340lbs as is. Lot of work to do, as you can see some rust needs to go, they painted every thing, over the oil ports, over the dials. A little more oil and a little less paint would of been a good thing.
I still haven't seen one like it, I'm calling it a Model "B".
Ed. Michigan

Back