What's new
What's new

1985 inch-metric 10EE without ELSR

old_dave

Stainless
This may have been noted before, but see ebay item 150067466890 (sorry I don’t know how to do a link, at least not a short one). A 1985 inch-metric 10EE. Clearly lacks ELSR. Is this odd? Somewhere I got the idea ELSR was standard on inch-metric 10EE’s.
David

10EE on ebay

I think the conventional wisdom is opposite, only like 2 Inch/Metric with ELSRs in existence, one was "built" from 2 donor machines.

That appears to be the solid state Regen drive based on the position of the disconnect handle on the lower right door (a Module drive would have the disconnect handle on the opposite side of same panel)

The DRO placement on that lathe appears to be a most un-ergonomic position...concentrating closely on the work, then straightening up full height to turn to the left to get a "reading".

Only another car payment away

The ELSR explained in Monarch sales lit. to be standard on I/M machines apeears not to be the case, there has been a few like this one as an example.
Interesting, on this machine there is No taper attachment,ELSR, coolant system, I/M dials on crosslide and topslide but has the I/M dial on the tailstock.
Who could say all this is original? And $25000?
I do believe that these machines are superior to Hardinge.

I think the conventional wisdom is opposite, only like 2 Inch/Metric with ELSRs in existence, one was "built" from 2 donor machines.
Matt, I think you're confusing i/m with 30" i/m. I think only 2 30" i/m with ELSR were made, lots of 20" i/m with ELSR.

Thank you all for your replies. Thank you Matt for posting the link. Thank you Rex for reminding me of the earlier thread which also showed an inch-metric 10EE without ELSR (or T.A.) Both these machines are described as built in 1985. Serial number was 53387 for the earlier thread, 53554 for the one currently on ebay. And thank you donie, it was probably in some sales lit I have on hand that I read ELSR was standard on inch-metric machines. Given the nature of these machines and their original target market they probably could be (and occasionally were) ordered in any number of non-standard configurations limited only by the buyer's willingness to pay and to wait for delivery. As an old guy I know in Texas, the first HSM owner of a 10EE I ever met, once said "No two 10EE's are alike". Probably not much of an exaggeration.
David

The options were all very expensive, with the work light at several hundred and the taper in the thousands.
Back when I was shopping for a I/M machine, I came across one that had nearly everything except the tailstock dial was the little inch one that reads in .001"
Untill I started using the one I found, I discovered the I/M tailstock dial reads in 1/64". This odd dial is geared, but the dial is one piece showing total travel of 3.5" along with metric travel.
It would have been better if Monarch would have changed the tailstock screw to 10TPI and have simular geared dial as the cross feed and top slide have. 1/64" reading is just not handy.

The i/m 10ee I sold this summer had a geared tail stock and ELSR. Monarchs are all a little diffrent thats why you need more need more than one.

Back