What's new
What's new

10EE in Trona, CA

Karl Olmstead

Plastic
Looked over a 10EE in a guy's garage last Friday. He's going to be in prison for the rest of his life, so his family is selling off his stuff. The 10EE has a government property disposal tag, and the date on the Monarch serial number tag is 1942. Round dial. I couldn't examine the lathe too closely, but the ways were bright and flawless. The tachometer dial looked like brand new. I think the ways have been reground. The unit is running on power from a 3-phase converter. I'm guessing that it is 208 volt, unless phase converters can also transform voltage. Significant slop in cross-slide screw. Includes collet closer and a set of 2J collets. And a small 3 or 4-jaw chuck.

Any idea which drive system this lathe would use? Any comments on a fair price for the lathe? If I don't buy it, I need to be able to advise the family what it's worth.

-Karl

Best pricing index is to search ebay and review the selling prices (as opposed to the asking prices) for the round dial style. This will give you a range of prices with semi-worn out tools getting the low end and the tighter tools edging into the higher. I'm a little hesitant to toss a dollar amount out there for an older round dial as I don't follow that market.

Definitely a M/G unit. Not sure what sort of phase converter you're looking at, it might just be a static box that switches one input leg back and forth on 2 outputs for a while after seeing a load - it lets a 3 phase motor get started but after the motor is running is completely out of the circuit; it possible could be a Phase Perfect box that would be worth more than the lathe.

As for price: it might be cliche', but eBay is a decent source for selling prices. There's a lot on there now above the $2K selling price, and the only one that sold in the past month was sold at $1700 without much tooling, but it was a fairly recent square dial M/G unit. Given the additional tooling and considering the cross slide that price would be a maximum.

Thanks for the quick replies, fellows. I think the converter was a small Phase-A-Matic, which seems to be true rotary converter. It looked like one; rectangular box on top of motor-shaped body.

I'm still thinking. I could use a lathe that will spin faster than my 12" CK, but I hate to give up any more room in my shop..

-Karl

Modifying most of his guns to fire 'full auto', possessing a number of home-made hand grenades and some drugs.... then there were sex crimes. A very well-rounded individual!

Dunno about radioactivity; we're several hundred miles from the Nevada test ranges. Burial of dozens of 10EEs after they were used machining plutonium... probably just an urban myth. What could go wrong?

-karl

machine guns are not illegal, just federally regulated and designated " title 2 firearms". I know for a fact there are several registered owners of title 2 firearms that frequent this board. as long as they have the paperwork to prove they can have the item, it would not be a problem to get it made. IIRC its not even illegal to have certain parts, but if you have enough parts to make a functional weapon they can get you on " intent to manufacture".

Anyone besides me have numbskulls asking for machine work relating to automatic weapons and such?
A guy I was in school with provided me a series of prints for a paying side job about 10+ years ago. He wouldn't tell me what the parts were for, his "invention prototype" :rolleyes: .

I told him what the ATF thought about someone who made a silencer. Haven't heard from the guy since.

Modifying most of his guns to fire 'full auto', possessing a number of home-made hand grenades and some drugs.... then there were sex crimes
Gasp . . . I thought people into EE's were "nice" proper conservative people with mostly upscale moral standards.... duh
Maybee the tone of this board has blinded me to the real world. :rolleyes:
Guess I better try to rent that movie from a couple years back , what was it ? The Machinist ?
Dave Lawrence

I think a Sykes Fairbairn knife would be plenty quiet enough, up close and personal if one was so inclined.
This I found amuzing, I posted in the gun forum here, some time ago about an artical I found in the FBI Journal about how they can trace machine tool marks due to the slight imperfections in spindle bearings, to the machine that made them.
Someone posted that they always sand out the toolmarks as a "good" gunsmith should.
Anyway, I can tell by looking at a piece of steel by eye, witch lathe I have turned it.
The EE is capible of making much more deadly weapons then a mere machine gun anyway.
I always felt that skills I have, must be used with responcibility. And there will be those that have none.

Re-visited the Trona machine shop last Friday, this time taking a very experienced machinist with me. As frequently happens when I take Ed, the items that I thought were gold turned to doggy doo, and the stuff that I thought was garbage turned out to be gold. Ed thought that the Millport Bridgeport clone was a fine mill, and the 10EE lathe was junk. The ways have been reground, but much of the 'guts' of the lathe seem to be missing. No lube visible in any sight glass, fwd/neutral/reverse lever gone, back gear control gone, as is the mechanism driving the lead screw.

The carriage handwheel was very noisy in operation, possibly because it has been used to move the carriage during turning operations. Tailstock handwheel wants to unscrew instead of moving ram in and out. Motor-generator gone, replaced by a motor controller mounted on the wall behind the lathe. Motor did run and spindle turned quietly.

Not my cup of tea. I'll give the lady who's trying to sell the lathe enough info to post a Craig's List ad, but what's left of this lathe is really just parts for somebody with a worn out MG 10EE.
-Karl

Back