What's new
What's new

16"CY and DRO

beckley23

Titanium
Mounted a DRO on the CY this week, no major problems, except that I've a cable extension coming in for the X axis. The cross slide did present a couple of solvable problems with its construction. The blister on each side of the cross slide for the compound rest swivel, and the fact that the ways are lower than the carriage wings. With this construction glass scales would be a problem, because they have to be supported at each end, but with Newall scales that are short enough, they can be supported at one end. Newall even supplies a special mounting block for the Microsyn scale for this type of mount.
In the pictures that follow, you can see that it's a pretty tight fit, and I've had to move the mount once, actually I switched to the block from the pillar mount when I almost crashed the pillar into the carriage wing when retracting the cross slide to its outer most limit.
The socket head cap screw is the hard stop for the tailstock.

m1-1.jpg

m2-1.jpg

m3-1.jpg

Harry

Great idea on the hard-stop...the thin cover would offer protection for awhile but would eventually get bent too over the course of normal work.

I always get nervous drilling into the carriage because I'm worried I'll strike one of the internal lube lines...

You could always do the reverse and drill into the tailstock. Put the stop on the tailstock as the stop would be the deepest hole to drill.

Nice job on the DRO installation, Harry.

I thought about mounting the stop on the tailstock, but the carriage was easier for me.
The cover was made from one of the many Newall Spherosyn covers that I can't use because of the way the readers are mounted on my mills. It was really cut up as you can see. The vertical bandsaw really comes in handy.
Matt- I checked under the carriage bridge for lube lines, couldn't find any. When I drilled the hole, I didn't feel any sudden jumps in the drilling, so I don't think I got any lines. I didn't see any tell tale oil seeping out of the hole after drilling.
Harry

Harry, if its not too much trouble I would like to get together with you some time and check out your setup first hand since you are soo close. That and I love learning about these old C-series Monarchs. I have been putting my CBB to good use turning turbo housings recently and it works great.
Brian

Back