What's new
What's new

1985 10EE I/M auction in Minnesota

"Paint not original"

What evidence do you see for the paint not being original? I looked and didn't see too much myself so I'm on the fence about whether or not it's original paint. I'm wondering what you picked up on. I did see the bolts under the spindle that mount the headstock to the bed are very clean. ie- no swarf and not painted over.

If they repainted it, they masked all the hardware

Could be a nice machine

too bad I don't have 20k burning a hole in my pocket

Well, its the little things that are tell tale. Though a good repaint.
If you look at the little dings in the ID plates,paint on the edges of the ID plates, scratchy bare metal areas/knobs and the dead givaway is the thread selector plate, at the upper left you can see a chip they painted over.
Ha, when they repainted it they lost the button head screws for the thread selector plate and used funky phillips screws.
Its not possible to use the machine as much as is has been used without chipping alot of paint.

LMAO!!! I didn't even those phillip heads! Can't see the forest for the trees on this one!

I did see a few paint smudges around the flats and what looked like a couple chipped out mating surfaces like that cover on the gear box you already pointed out. Overall, not a bad paint job.

Wonder how much tooling will come with it, if any?

Up to $11000 now. It sort of looks like the standard cross feed dial is an older one. Someone may have run off with the I/M unit, "only two bolts holding it". The chuck is not a Monarch item. The I/M tail stock dial, as dreadfull a unit as it is, is there "reads in 1/64" on the inch side".
If it goes over $15000, I wont feel too much of a sucker on the one I have.

Didn't realize this thread was going on while I was chatting about the same machine in another thread. So none of you guys got it ? Seemed cheap to me...maybe Hoff Hilk is finally coming down to earth....nah, probably just a temporary glitch...

"Seemed cheap to me"

That's cheap only if that machine is in as good as shape as Donie's machine. Without actually checking the ways, x-screw slop, and hearing/feeling the machine run under power, there's no way to tell if it was really 'cheap'. The paint job may have covered up the actual condition of it lathe. But then again, I know DT is an expert at buying tools by pics alone! :D

"The auction closed with the final bid at 12,250 (plus 10% buyer's premium and 6.5% tax)."

With the I/m box being a $10,000 option (and the I/m dials being worth something, too), the net cost for a very late model 10EE, Imperial, is $2,250, which is certainly cheap enough.

But then again, I know DT is an expert at buying tools by pics alone!
Well yeah, shoulda got someone I trust to actually check it out in real life (way too far to drive or fly just for one machine...esp for one that one expects to go way too high anyway since it's Hoff Hilk), but wasn't going just by pix... I called them up about it yesterday...still, they could have been lying about the tech school bit and the paint was suspect sure enough...kinda caught me off guard as I just found out about it yesterday.

Also Hoff Hilk has kinda struck me as a bit more "trustworthy" than most auctioneers about things like this. But really, have no definitive experiences with them in that regard. Anyone else have any dealings with them and thoughts on that aspect ?

Bought mine unseen, was looking for one for total rebuild with a working drive. End up with a molested barely working drive and a machine in mechanical good condition.
Reading the Monarch Gospel nonsense, I thought I was getting the later drive. Though in the end I ended up with the last of the tube drives That from what I have observed is a better and more durable system then the regenerative drive anyway.
At the time I was looking at a factory reconditioned machine at close to $40000 with no attachments and ended up at $15000 for one completly tooled and doing what it is supposed to do.
There has been talk here that Monarch cant produce a precision machine as they could before they sold.
Would I do it again? probably not. I would most likely call DT about a Shaublin!

Back