What's new
What's new

0.040" of play in cross slide?

Domodude17

Aluminum
On my 9A, if you put an indicator against the cross slide and move it back and forth with your hands, there is approximately 0.040" of play. I know 0.007" of that can be accounted for by the acme screw itself moving back and forth (need a thicker washer). The rest of that would be coming from wear in the cross slide screw, correct? I replaced the cross slide nut very recently in the hopes that only the nut was worn.

If you move the crossslide to its far extents does the backlash follow?

If so I would assume the nut is worn rather than the screw.

Does the machine have a taper attachment or not? You can get backlash from wear on the sleeve for the taper as well. Or the ball crank assembly end. If the backlash is less at the extreme ends in or out and you replaced the nut very recently it’s likely the screw itself. I’d suggest you pull the screw and examine the threads, if they’re starting to come to a point then you should consider replacing the screw. If you do need a screw, I sell replacement screws for the 9A. I make mine from 1144 and completely remake them instead of just replacing the threaded end. If you’d like more details just shoot me a DM.

Stephen

On my 9A, if you put an indicator against the cross slide and move it back and forth with your hands, there is approximately 0.040" of play.

Where? IOW, is there 40 thou everywhere, or are you checking towards the center of travel in the most commonly worn area? Back up the slide to near it's limit, and check there. Do the same towards the other limit of travel inside.

Since you just replaced the nut, I would expect you would much more play due to a worn screw towards the middle of travel, and little more than minimal backlash at each end of travel where there would be minimal wear.

I am not sure if the design is the same but I had a LOT of backlash in my 16" and when I removed the compound slide the cross slide screw is clearly visible. When you replaced your nut did the screw look OK? Compare the middle to the ends.

I had the same problem on my 10L (if by "play", you mean back lash). I had to replace both my screw and the nut. Both were worn to a literal point.

Well, we can mark this one solved...I didn't have the retaining screw in the nut tight enough, so the nut itself was moving a little. Tighten the screw up, and all the play is virtually 100% gone.

At least i'm not the only one to do something boneheaded like that, right guys? ...guys? Right?

Agreed! The travel is now such that it's tight at the ends, and just about the right amount of play in the middle of the travel

Back