Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Mississippi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 10" gearbox

Working on a single lever tumbler and the lever is worn where the sprocket shaft goes through. What is the cure for the slop?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mean the bore that holds the shaft for the idler gear, correct? If so, it came in two ways. One way had a thrust bearing the gear rode on and the other is like you have, the shaft itself spins whilst the gear is keyed.

In short there isn’t an “easy” fix. It depends on what tooling you have and what your capabilities are. I’d suggest either broaching it and making the new shaft for the gear to spin on while it’s affixed to the tumbler; or reboring the hole and making a new larger shaft. You could also sleeve the bore but I’d expect your shaft is worn as well.

I’ve made several replacement shafts, idler gears, and main pinions for members here. If you don’t have the tooling to do it you can send me your tumbler arm and I can do the repairs for you.

3. Likes blacksmythx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i can certainly vouch for Stephen.....these are some beautifully executed parts....just opened the package today, almost dont want to use that pinion shaft,shame something that nice wont be seen once its installed....almost criminal even...
    pic doesnt come close to doing them justice- this is quality stuff.

image.jpg

5. Likes blacksmythx liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Mississippi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, that's the right one. I was hoping I could squirt some JB weld in there or hammer in a piece of Sprite can or something. No I not very equipped for this repair nor do I have the skills required, expect a PM while I consider my optins.