What's new
What's new

10 Heavy Lube Chart

SteveF

Titanium
Ready to start using my new toy but only have a 10K lubrication chart. Anyone out there willing to sell me a copy of the one for the 10" Heavy.

Thanks much.
Steve.

Spingle bearings and apron reservoir: SUS 100
Quick change gear box: SUS 150 - 240
Everything else: SUS 240 - 500

I use Mobile products. Spindle Oil Medium, DTE Oil Light, and DTE Oil Heavy Medium.
I use Vactra #2 on the ways.

Hope that helps.

The adress for the SB oil chart is very good but the print out will be small or in several pages. When Rose was at SB she sent me the chart 6514 free which is 17" wide by 10" high with tons of info on both sides.It is easy to read and even worth paying for. One guy told me he framed his and hung it over his lathe.
Walt

Exptec - Thanks, just what I needed.

Steve.
biggrin.gif

I glommed onto a CL 8117 E built in the late 70's in fine condition recently but it's been over 30 years since I ran a South Bend. I am so glad you guys are around with the needed info and sources. I hope most of this applies to coneheads in general as I should have a 1914 P&W 16" soon.

I noted the mention of Mobil 1 for spindle oil. Would 5W30 be appropriate? I have also noted the "tabu" against detergent type oils several places. What precisely is the harmful mechanism? Seems the additive package is tailored for plain bearings of the about same clearances as found on machine tools and the anti-galling characteristics for boundary lubrication would be better than a straight mineral oil. The detergents are much evolved from the 1950-vintage oils that were warned against by Southbend and others. As I remember, back then the old Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) didn't approve the use of detergent oils in aircraft recips.

"I use Mobile products. Spindle Oil Medium, DTE Oil Light, and DTE Oil Heavy Medium. I use Vactra #2 on the ways."

Essentially the same lubricants as required for a Monarch 10EE ... high quality "turbine" (circulating) oil for the spindle and gearbox (DTE), and a purpose made lubricant for the ways (Vactra).

I buy this stuff in 5 gal. pails as the Monarch holds a lot of oil, and it has automatic oilers everywhere except the compound and tailstock.

whollymacros:

I think the detergent oil taboo is based on the idea that a detergent oil holds the grit in suspension where it is supposed to be removed by an oil filter (which doesn't exist on most machine tools so it keeps running through your bearings). Non-detergent oils allow the grit to sink to the bottom of the sump.

That said, if the oil system is a total loss system, then I don't see the harm in using detergent oils. I use Mobil 1 0-30W for the spindle on my Heavy 10 and also for my mill spindle. The oil drips down by gravity and carries the contaminants with it.

George

Back