What's new
What's new

10-K advice

Cgarg

Plastic
I am new to forums, so please bear with me until I learn the ways.
I am looking for advice from some of you SouthBend experts, When I retire (early 2020), I am going to lose access to the workplace machine shop. I would like to start outfitting my home shop with a lathe and mill.
Years ago is used a Southbend 10K model A Tool Room lathe 4’ bed - Catalog No. CL8770A – S/N 7941KAR (Which I have the original catalog, lubrication chart and parts list books). I would like to attempt to find one of these lathes in roughly the same vintage as the one I grew up on.
My questions are:
Is this a dream that can become a reality?
Where do I start looking?
Are there places to stay away from? E-bay, surplus, etc..
What year was the lathe I mentioned above and are there ones within many years that are basically the same?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

made for a lot of years essentially unchanged...they are out there for sure.

Skip ebay if at all possible.

I will also suggest that you contact Ted (SBLatheman) ....you'd be surprised what he can come up with.

[email protected]

I bought mine new from SB in 1980. I think they were still being sold new in 1983 and perhaps slightly later. The later models had flame hardened beds and resisted wear very well. Beware of older machines because of bed wear. Finding one with a taper attachment and metric transposing gears would be rare finds indeed. Good luck!

Have a later model 10k with the hard bed that I use often - great little lathe. For me, condition would be driving factor, and as michiganbuck mentions it is worth a lot to see and evaluate a lathe firsthand. One difficulty with the 10k is the 6k collet - they don't grow on trees and can be expensive in good condition. It took me a few years to collect a full set. One other suggestion, while I understand your nostalgia, would suggest expanding your search to include the 10L. The larger spindle hole and less expensive 5c collet capability along with extra rigidity will be appreciated if you are going to use it a lot.

also the 9" is really for all intents the same as 10K....and WAY more common.

agree on including 10L

I agree as well - I have a real nice 10K, fully tooled, but there are many cases where it would be nice to have the larger spindle bore. The extra rigidity of the 10L is also a plus. Costwise, pretty much a wash, it depends on condition.

some of the late model ones do I believe....but really I have only seen one 9" with the bed so far gone it wouldn't make parts and that one was used with a toolpost grinder permanently installed...and I bet I have had 20 or so of them pass through here over the years.

IMO the bed on the little 9 and 10k are the least of the worries.

All, thanks for the advice/replies. When looking at a machine, is the only difference between a 10K and 10L the spindle bore? Model A's are Models A's?

Totally different machines....there is the 10K, 10R, and 10L....both the 10R and 10L are "heavy 10's"....and I really hate the heavy 10 thing....it leads to much confusion, and it for sure ain't heavy...it is however twice the lathe of a 9 or 10K.

Like is mentioned above, the 10K is pretty much the same as a 9", essentially a glorified 9" with a 3/8" (+ -) riser under the tail stock, compound and head stock. The "A" refers to the model with the quick change gearbox and auto feeds. (the "B" had auto feeds but no gearbox, the "C" had neither the feeds or the gearbox)
CWC(4)

I have a 10K that I bought new. I am very happy with my machine. I have machined items way outside its class. It is however a light lathe and it is superb in its size range. I have 3 lathes, so the lighter size, mass, stiffness of the 10K is a non-issue for me. The stiffer 10L is still a light lathe and is no substitute for a larger lathe either. I actually use my 10K for 25% of my lathe work. If you are limited by space to a single lathe, I would own a 13x40. It is the ideal size in this case. However, much more important is the lathe tooling, available accessories and overall capability. This is especially important in a single lathe situation. You must have metric change gears, steady rest, follower rest, taper attachment and good 3, 4, 6 jaw chucks. Other accessories are nice, but not essential.

Another important point to consider when acquiring your lathe is the cost of accessories and nothing is more important than the spindle type. There are some very nice European lathes, but I would not own any of them because their spindle types are proprietary or very uncommon. If you accept my 13x40 size recommendation, then making certain the spindle is a D1-4 opens the door to availability and lowest cost because of its popularity. The 13x40 size will also use the size "B" tool post, which again is the most common.

You have exactly the same considerations when choosing a mill. The R-8 spindle is not the best. the 40 taper is superior, but when it comes to availability of tooling, the R-8 cannot be beaten. This all translates to cost.

Hello Cgarg

welcome to the forum! This is the place to find advice, accessories for your machines or even a lathe! I joined a while back and am very glad I did. The membors on here are a great reference source to say the least! I live in MN so I have a good idea of what your options are in the area, limited.. When I was looking I wanted a 10" as well but found that I could upgrade to the 13" for fewer dollars. I found a great shape 1978ish 13x60 for $900 in craigslist. There is a used machinery dealer in Elk river that has a 10" for sale still.
South-Bend Engine Lathes in Minnesota, New & Used | MachineSales.com

I looked at this machine but decided on the 13 as it was much larger with more desirable options 1 being the D1-4 spindle. I cant remember what the price of this lathe was 2 years ago but you may be able to deal with the guy. It did have a little damage to the ways but it is right near the headstock, I think it was a rigging accident with a chain! It might not be a problem though?
Anyways I thought I would let you know. Keep an eye on local craigslist they pop up every now and then.

Thanks

I just found your forum and do not know what are the rules. Am I allowed to sell on this forum? I have a brand new, never used South Bend 10K lathe purchased in 11/1984 - it comes with the stand and many extras - never used - brand new from 1984. I would like to sell it.

there is a for sale section. Certainly post there

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"
I just found your forum and do not know what are the rules. Am I allowed to sell on this forum? I have a brand new, never used South Bend 10K lathe purchased in 11/1984 - it comes with the stand and many extras - never used - brand new from 1984. I would like to sell it."

Back