What's new
What's new

10 k gear cover question

Toddiman

Plastic
I recently picked up a SB 10k lathe it has the undermount motor. It also has the fiberglass gear cover and I would like to change it out with the aluminum one.
I see a few covers with the hinge bracket listed on eBay but they are all listed for a 9A.
Does anyone know if one of these will work on the 10K?
Thanks for any help.
T

It's definitely not a Heavy 10.
I was looking for a 10K cover last year. If you look at the exploded parts diagram for the 9/10K it tells you what the casting numbers are for each lathe. It's a bit confusing, but it may help in getting the correct cover. There are small differences.

well, you could make it fit.
but remember the 10k is 1/2" taller so it will not be a direct replacement...It may be as simple as a 1/2" spacer though.

check with Ted, he may have something or can possibly advise you on what will work.

[email protected]

Mine is fiberglass and screws on, wish it was aluminum and hinged.......
There must've been three variants. The OE cover on my 10K is heavy enough that it is definitely iron, but during some chapter prior to me it took a hit that bent and loosened the Babbitt metal or whatever it is that joins the pivot to the main casting, so it sags and drags on the gears (thankfully it has not been run in that condition, without the door being swung partly open to remove the interference). I got a batch of other stuff from another source that includes a cover that is far lighter, but still metal, so must be aluminum. Need to sort out which is best fit/ most repairable before I let the other one go.

Back