What's new
What's new

10" South Bend I just got.

DonTen

Plastic
I just got this 10" South Bend. I am new to these and I have heard the term "Heavy 10"? Is that what I got? the serial number is LT-106R 4512RKT9. I am picking up the original base tomorrow. It is missing a LOT of the gears but at the price of free I had to take it. I hope gears are not to expensive. Can you guys tell me about how old it is? ThanksCIMG6160.jpgCIMG6161.jpgCIMG6162.jpgCIMG6164.jpgCIMG6165.jpg

Great price you paid. Set of geara perhaps $200. you dont need all the greas up fromt..Plenty of oil with a littl spirets added and clean up parts,
Don't wire brush number dials.

if an oil spondle be sure it has oil..dont even turn it if in doubt.

Can you guys tell me about how old it is?

Between 1950 and 1955

Yes, a Heavy 10 - but may be 11/16 collet or 1" collet - the latter has a 1 3/8 bore thru the spindle

Here is a little brochure on the 1" collet version

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1951_Bltn_No.5135/1951_Bltn_No.5135.pdf

Thanks to Mr. Wells for hosting this

If you can get that tag riveted on the QC gear box to be readable, the catalog number will start with 187 on the 1" collet version, and 199 on the smaller spindle hole version

Late 1952 10R or 10L, would have to measure spindle as John said. Also, this would have been about the first year of the double tumbler gearbox, and it was narrow ratio.

allan

Well for free you could not have gone wrong. The QCGB is missing its guts. With a sprocket on the input shaft this must have been an unusual setup. There is also another apron from another machine in that pile. The spindle is removed and I hope you have the bearings and caps. You will certainly get all the help you need from this forum to reassemble that machine. It is best to lay it all out and post pics of everything you have. IMO it may turnout to be a parts for sale machine rather than a put together and use machine.

Well for free you could not have gone wrong. The QCGB is missing its guts. With a sprocket on the input shaft this must have been an unusual setup. There is also another apron from another machine in that pile. The spindle is removed and I hope you have the bearings and caps. You will certainly get all the help you need from this forum to reassemble that machine. It is best to lay it all out and post pics of everything you have. IMO it may turnout to be a parts for sale machine rather than a put together and use machine.

The other apron goes on a Dalton I just bought. I always wanted a lathe and within a week I now have 2!!! I think I am going to sell the Dalton and keep the South Bend. All I know is one has to go lol. All the parts other than the gears are there. It was all assembled. I took it apart to get it home (No help to move it) I saw it run before I took it apart but as you can tell the auto feed did not work.

Between 1950 and 1955

Yes, a Heavy 10 - but may be 11/16 collet or 1" collet - the latter has a 1 3/8 bore thru the spindle

Okay sense I am new to this and for now the large chuck is still on the spindle I tried to measure the hole in the spindle at the other end. It looks to be about 1 3/4 inch in size? It is quite large. Do I need to remove the chuck to get the correct measurement?

Between 1950 and 1955

Okay sense I am new to this and for now the large chuck is still on the spindle I tried to measure the hole in the spindle at the other end. It looks to be about 1 3/4 inch in size? It is quite large. Do I need to remove the chuck to get the correct measurement?

Well I measured again. I didn't see that it is actually counter sink a bit. I used a tool to measure down inside this time. It is slightly over 1 3/8"

I got the base today. It looks complete and really just needs painted. I have looked at others but my tray has a drain in it. Did someone add that or did they make some that way? It came with a nice 1hp Dayton 220v motor. I moved this complete lathe by my self. All with a dodge mini van, where there is a will there 's a way!!

CIMG6169.jpgCIMG6170.jpgCIMG6168.jpgCIMG6173.jpgCIMG6171.jpg

Looks like Christmas came early! It looks to have fairly short bed (for a 10") if you can fit it sideways in a minivan!
Be careful and take your time. Photo document each piece you have individually. It may turn out to be the most expensive
free lathe you've ever gotten. Oil, Oil, Oil!!

PMc

View attachment 290479

Wow you did good. Congrats! Be gentle with it, some oil and thinner mixed together and go over it with a toothbrush... you can find all the parts that are missing on eBay including all the gears etc. Be sure to talk to the guys here and do you research and homework. Congrats!

Wow you did good. Congrats! Be gentle with it, some oil and thinner mixed together and go over it with a toothbrush... you can find all the parts that are missing on eBay including all the gears etc. Be sure to talk to the guys here and do you research and homework. Congrats!

Thanks. I already have been pricing gears. There are a few parts to go with them but that is the main thing.

Note that this is the relatively rare narrow ratio gearbox, only used in the early/mid 1950s, IIRC. It will be hard to find the guts of one of those. I suggest you replace the gearbox entirely with a later wide ratio box. I think you'll spend less money in the long run.

allan

Note that this is the relatively rare narrow ratio gearbox, only used in the early/mid 1950s, IIRC. It will be hard to find the guts of one of those. I suggest you replace the gearbox entirely with a later wide ratio box. I think you'll spend less money in the long run.

allan

Not really. The guts are the same, just a few more gears in the wide range gearbox.
Ted

Back