Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    If you end up with left-over line shaft components, keep me in mind! I've got several projects that are in need of properly sized hangers, pulleys, clutch's, etc.
    I will. Maybe I can pick your brain on adapting a quick change gearbox. I seem to have all of the change gears, but....why not upgrade if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
    I will. Maybe I can pick your brain on adapting a quick change gearbox. I seem to have all of the change gears, but....why not upgrade if I can.
    Its been done. Here is a somewhat later Series O with a double tumbler QC box grafted on. You can be sure it is not a plug and play deal - and especially so with one that never had provisions for such - like those machined pads you can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb-0-qc-.jpg   sb-0-qc-b.jpg  

3. Likes Kakashi liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Taking some measurements today. The second lathe is actually a 16" whilst the first is a 15". There are many many differences, so I won't have as many "spare parts" as I thought, but the main reason for the purchase, the chain drive, will still work. The cone pulley between the two have about a 1/4" difference between the width. Each layer is a bit wider on the 16". The bed is about 1/2" wider in all aspects. All of the ways are wider apart. The saddle and apron are a good 1 1/4" wider. The crossfeed dovetail is 1/2" wider....

Many differences that are hard to fathom by just looking at them. I figured the headstock and tailstock were just taller. Of course it makes sense that everything needed to be wider to spread things out to compensate for the center of gravity change.

It's been fun to learn this. How many times will you have a chance to inspect two 100 year old lathes side by side?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That 16 is an excellent haul... why not use it as-is? It's got a backend chuck... perhaps they were using it for chambering work on rifles...

I'd say... that a better move would be to make a homebrew'd copy of the 'silent chain' drive system, and put a VFD on an 1800rpm 3ph 3hp motor and call it awesome...

6. Likes Kakashi liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    That 16 is an excellent haul... why not use it as-is? It's got a backend chuck... perhaps they were using it for chambering work on rifles...

I'd say... that a better move would be to make a homebrew'd copy of the 'silent chain' drive system, and put a VFD on an 1800rpm 3ph 3hp motor and call it awesome...
    That may be what happens. I've removed the chain drive assembly and, after taking some measurements, it wouldn't be a bolt and go on the 15". I'd have to add some 1 1/2" risers between the legs and bed. That would work, and I'm leaning towards that, but it did make me pause a bit.

After cleaning up the 16" some, it is in poor condition. Unlike the 15" she was well used over the past 100 years. Besides that chuck on the back end, which took some interesting engineering to accomplish, the bore is MUCH larger than the 15. Somebody somewhere re-bored that spindle and added that chuck to dedicate that lathe for a very specific purpose.

Besides the ways being in poor condition, the cross slide screw and handle are missing. It's got a part of a taper attachment, but I bet you'd have more chance of finding chickens teeth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Typically, when someone fits a backend chuck, it's because they've got a workpiece that extends through, and it needs to be supported to spin true. The first and foremost application is rechambering a rifle barrel, or threading a muzzle for a muzzle break or flash suppressor, or shortening a barrel, or making a land in it for replacing a damaged bayonet lug, or stuff like that. It wouldn't surprise me if they were using the lathe to drill holes down the middle off shaft stock for some other purpose, too.

9. Likes Kakashi liked this post