What's new
What's new

10K??

caltom

Aluminum
There's a machine dealer within 3 miles of my house and they have this 10" SB for $2950. Well thing is, I'm rather new to machining. I'm not looking to butter my bread with any machines, it's just a means to make some things I want to make for myself. I figure a 10 - 12" lathe will suit my needs fine, but I just haven't had the exposure to metalworking machines. Anyway, what's the difference between a 10K and any other 10" SB? (I know the heavy 10 is a different animal) I looked at lathes.co.uk but it didn't explain the differences between A, B, C or K models. So what are the differences?

Oh and here's the lathe I looked at. I would welcome any thoughts on this machine, is it junk or a diamond in the rough?
http://www.astratool.com/machines/ph3960.htm

That's a 10K, the machine is built on a 9 inch South Bend bed and carriage.

That one could be the toolroom model since it has the taper attachement, thoerise it is a model A

Model A means that the machine has a quick change box and power long. and cross feed works in the apron.

Model B's had the feed works in the apron but had standard change (loose) gears.

Model C's had standard change gears and no feed works in the apron, long. feed was through the half nuts.

The machine in the pic is modern and looks pretty good.

There are members of this board who have gotten comparable machines for half to one third of Astra's asking price.

Notice the photos are dated 2002. This isn't a used machine, it is a museum piece.

around here (southern tier NY) you could buy a Hardinge HLV- or 2 Monarch 10ee's in similar condition to the one in your photo, for the listed price, last couple years at auction.

It's hard to comment on "worth" since a new improt of similar capability will cost about the same. But that dealer is askin about twice what those go for in that condition, with those accessories (taper attachment, steady rest)

BTW, there's something weird about the steady rest, i don't think it is original and may be home made, unless SB changed the later ones dramatically. (I have an early 60's 10k). Also, the taper may be missing some minor parts, unless they are in a box or drawer not shown.

smt

Around here ( Alberta, Soviet Kanukistan) that would be a fair price for that model of 10k ie; taper attachment, 4 1/2 foot bed, cabinet model etc. Being that new (1986) it probably has a flame hardened bed.

4 1/2 foot bed models here usually sell for around $750- 1000 more than the shorter models. If it is in as good a shape as it appears I would by it.

You could find a rougher lathe for less money but you will have to fix it up. Whats a taper attachment worth in your area? A friend just imported a used one from the US. It cost him $1000 can. by the time he was finished.

Lots of guys brag here and on this forum (and others) about what great deals they get on used machine tools. This seems to be based on the region of the US that they live in. Ohio seems to have cheap machine tools ( I just finished importing a bridgeport from there myself) but in Montana they are nonexistent.

If its as nice as it looks it is worth that price where I live. It looks like it is ready to go to work. Do you want to make things or fix it a rougher lathe up? I have been down both roads a lot, and I will now pay a premium for machines in excellent condition.

smt:

Your last post sas you are now in The Southern Tier

Where. - I wuzz raised in Endicott (Endwell
frown.gif
)

Left there in 1960 - IBM, I've Been Moved

Dad got transferred to Washington, D.C. That move changed my life forever and for the best.

quasi:

As per above, we actually lived in Maryland and like a fool, I stayed on well after it beacme The Peoples Republic of Maryland.

Now when a group of us go to Hagerstown and we cross over the Potomac at Hancock I always remind everybody that we are entering The Peoples Republic, Make sure you seat belts are on and for heaven's sake get the boxes of ammo off the floor and under the seats.

haven't moved, Jim. Still outside Elmira, near the Sullivan monument/park. I am perhaps a bit loose with what I consider "local" geography. Pretty much anything within 50 mi radius seems "local" to me. When I started working (I mean after baling hay summers as a kid for the local farmers, and a stint on a summer paint crew in HS) it was always a 50 - 70 mile commute to work from where i lived in MD anyway, mostly into the
District, but also the close suburbs.

Then spent time commuting from MD into NYC with a crew, and now live as above, and recently commute back to DC & Baltimore for jobs.

Like I said, it all starts to blend to gether and seem sort of local.

smt

Back