What's new
What's new

10K compound handle removal

Captain Dan

Plastic
Hi,

I have a binding in the compound that I am pretty sure is caused by the large 0-200 graduated collar. If you loosen the thumb screw the compound lead screw works smoothly. If you tighten up the graduated collar thumb screw, the leadscrew slightly binds. It appears that from 140 to about 020 the collar is slightly bowed and rubbing on the compound bushing. I need to remove the handle to pull off the collar and slightly file it.

It looks obvious, but I am new to the SB 10K so I will ask to make sure.

Do I make a "divided" screw driver (don't know what the correct name is) to unscrew the retaining nut for the handle? I have a parts list for the lathe and it looks like you just remove the nut.

Sorry for the simple question, but I have learned that "looks obvious" and reality are not necessarily the same.

Dan

Yes, a screw driver with a NOTCH. I made one in a few minutes from some .050" thick flat stock using a file

Last nut I had off turned out to have a small round pin type "key" installed under the nut "dutchman" fashion

Well, I discovered the binding problem, and not what I thought.
When I got the handle off I looked at the graduated collar and put it on a flat surface. No problem there. Put it back together again and still had the same problem, but I noticed that the handle holding nut did not seem to be perfectly straight. Not cross threaded crooked, but not correct. Off with the nut and handle and realized that the 1/8" pin "key" was just slightly longer than the "key" recess in the handle keeping the nut from fully seating. Just a touch of sanding the length of the round "key" and reinstalled the handle and nut. Now, everything is smooth and the backlash is slightly less.

Also, discovered the brass shoe for the graduated collar locking thumb screw was missing. Made one up out of 1/8" brass rod. Now the locking screw holds the graduated collar securely when rotating the handle which was sort of hit and miss before.

Dan

Back