What's new
What's new

10K gearbox and apron rebuild report: paint, pins and felts

Anatol

Aluminum
Hi
because I know youall like pics, here's some of my rebuild in process of a 1959 10K. PO had slapped a lot of paint on it, and I had at first thought I'd just rebuild and leave the pale gray paint, but once I started scraping paint away from places it shouldn't be, on knobs and oilers, etc, I figured if this was going to be my lathe for the forseeable, I might as well make it mine. I'm partial to hammerite, but it seems there's a world shortage of most colors, so I mixed my own pale green. And color coded the controls. Now I think its a bit christmassy, but oh well.

I replaced all the felts - that was a good idea. Most were black and set hard (years of wrong oil and sediment?) and many looked like someone had shaken glitter on them. So, no doubt overdue.

When I got the gearbox reassembled, I found I had a dowel pin remaining in my parts tray - not a good feeling. P31 of the ILION book shows a pic with a suspiciously familiar looking dowel pin. Mine is Its 5/32 (.156) x 1 1/8 but the books calls it 1/8th. I recall wondering why some gears had holes in them - I assumed they were oil holes. But why are only some of the gears pinned? Something to do with the logic of the gearbox, no doubt. Looks like I'll be tearing it down again. Traps for young players as my mother used to say.apron paint.jpggearbox paint.jpg

But why are only some of the gears pinned?

Some of the gears are on keys that fit the shaft, some are pinned to another gear and even others are pinned to a shaft. To transmit power, a gear has to tied to some shaft, so any gear that just twirls is a "red flag".

The guide called out a taper pin, but measured from where? It could be your "bonus" part was shortened (from the small end), so it's true size was confusing. Just note that there are no oil holes in the gears.

Could it be this one?

3Ecf6Kk.jpg

Back