What's new
What's new

10K Grease fitting

gjkozy

Plastic
Browsing the book on SB rebuild, I came across the picture of a grease fitting that fits my spindle and back shaft, Thing is it's a 1/4-20 thread. I can find 1/4-28 fitting or 1/2-20 fitting, nothing in 1/4-20. I am using a chainsaw bar greaser to inject grease into these two shafts, my imagination and creativity must be stunted, what are you guys using to grease your SB?

While I haven’t done this for a lathe, I’ve always found that if you can’t find it, make it is the proper method. Cut some 1/4-20 threads on a round bar and tap the other side for a grease fitting thread that you can find. Bore thru and screw together and bam, pump her full of lube.

Browsing the book on SB rebuild, I came across the picture of a grease fitting that fits my spindle and back shaft, Thing is it's a 1/4-20 thread. I can find 1/4-28 fitting or 1/2-20 fitting, nothing in 1/4-20. I am using a chainsaw bar greaser to inject grease into these two shafts, my imagination and creativity must be stunted, what are you guys using to grease your SB?

Grease? SB 10K? Just where do you grease? I own a 10K since 1980 and I never use grease, only oil.

Grease? SB 10K? Just where do you grease? I own a 10K since 1980 and I never use grease, only oil.

In the cone pulley where you lubricate the bearings. I'm pretty sure older machines had "Grease" stamped above this lube port while newer machines were marked for oil. Also I'm pretty sure there's a grease port on my eccentric shaft on my 13" South Bend.

I'm pretty sure older machines had "Grease" stamped above this lube port while newer machines were marked for oil.

It is the other way around. The older machines have "OIL" for Type C oil and the newer machines have "GREASE" for the teflon grease. The only other place for grease would be the motor bearings IF it had a grease zerk.

Back